New Release Review: Rogue by Michele Mannon

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Title: Rogue
Author: Michele Mannon
Series: Deadliest Lies, #1
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, Swerve
Publication Date: August 2nd 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
My lover is dead.

And they think I killed him.

I'm running rogue. Hell bent on both revenge and redemption. Whatever it takes, I'm going to finish a job that began nine months ago. An unauthorized assignment that turned horribly, devastatingly wrong. My miscalculation. My fault. My heart left shattered into incomplete pieces which will never wholly fit back together again.

But first I have to outsmart my former organization and the hired killer they've sent after me; a killer who knows my every move, who’s been inside my head, my heart, and my dreams.

I'm the traitor, Kylie. The rogue mercenary. Jaxson's newest assignment. And this is our love story.

My Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

My Review:
This is the first book that I've ever read by Michele Mannon and it definitely won't be my last! I couldn't put this one down! I ended up devouring it in one sitting. This is the first of a new series called Deadliest Lies and can be read as a standalone.

Kylie is determined to get revenge for her father's murder so she joins Hayden's group of mercenaries. Another reason she joined with them is because she needs the money to pay for her mother's expensive healthcare cost, due to her cancer. Kylie is hot-headed and often lets her temper get her into trouble.

Jaxon is smitten with Kylie from the very beginning. He's got a playboy reputation but is determined to show her that with her it would be different. He continually used his charms to try and win her over. He is also fiercely protective over Kylie.

The chemistry between the two of them was sizzling. There wasn't a ton of steamy scenes in this one but I thought that worked better with the seriousness and suspense being the focal point. Since this is a book about a group of mercenaries there is a good deal of violence in this, so if that isn't your thing then this is probably not the book for you. There was nothing that I would call over the top tho.

This story alternates between present day and the past when they first met at "The Ranch". The author always made it clear at the beginning of the chapter if it was present day or in the past, which I liked, so there was no confusion. I did feel like the constant back and forth pulled me out of the story a bit a times. Every time one story line was getting really good the chapter would end and we would jump back or forward. It built suspense but also drove me a little crazy.

** I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. **

Find It Here:

3 comments:

  1. I love that the suspense was the main dish..and sometimes the build up really showcases the chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I really enjoyed this one. I actually just requested the next book in this series on NetGalley... fingers crossed!! lol

      Delete
  2. Oooo, this book sounds great! The romance especially - I think I would love this romance, if the chemistry is sizzling and great. Jaxon sounds lovely. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Julie! Wonderful review. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground