Release Day Review: Adulting 101 by Lisa Henry

Monday, August 15, 2016

Title: Adulting 101
Author: Lisa Henry
Genre: M/M Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: August 15, 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
The struggle is real.

Nick Stahlnecker is eighteen and not ready to grow up yet. He has a summer job, a case of existential panic, and a hopeless crush on the unattainable Jai Hazenbrook. Except how do you know that your coworker’s unattainable unless you ask to blow him in the porta-potty?

That’s probably not what Dad meant when he said Nick should act more like an adult.

Twenty-five-year-old Jai is back in his hometown of Franklin, Ohio, just long enough to earn the money to get the hell out again. His long-term goal of seeing more of the world is worth the short-term pain of living in his mother’s basement, but only barely.

Meeting Nick doesn’t fit in with Jai’s plans at all, but, as Jai soon learns, you don’t have to travel halfway around the world to have the adventure of a lifetime.

This is not a summer romance. This is a summer friendship-with-benefits. It’s got pizza with disgusting toppings, Netflix and chill, and accidental exhibitionism. That’s all. There are no feelings here. None. Shut up.

My Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

My Review:
This is the first book I've ever read by Lisa Henry so I had no idea what to expect. Let me just say, I am very pleasantly surprised. Adulting 101 had me laughing from the very beginning all the way until the end! I am definitely going to have to read more of her books.

I absolutely LOVED Nick. He is so scatterbrained, adorably awkward, and has no filter at all. Some of the things that came out of his mouth had me laughing out loud while my husband gave me funny looks from across the room. Nick is an 18 year old recent high school graduate who doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, but he DOES know that he doesn't want to be a virgin before he heads to college, and that he also can't stop staring at Jai's butt. After propositioning Jai at work one day the two begin a friends-with-benefits arrangement.

Jai was an absolute sweetheart and was extremely patient with Nick and his rambling. He is a little older than Nick at 25 years old, and he works summers so he can travel the world for 9 months out of the year. He has also never had a serious relationship, but after spending time with Nick he starts feeling differently.

The only criticism I have for this one is that I would have like a more solid HEA. I would say this one is a strong HFN ending. There is a lot concerning their future that is unresolved at the end. I also would have liked to see Nick finally sit down with his dad for a talk to clear the air. All that being said, this was a very enjoyable and laugh out loud kind of romance with a few steamy scenes mixed in.

Find It Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground