ARC review: Claiming the Enemy by Lauren Hawkeye

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Title: Claiming the Enemy
Author: Lauren Hawkeye
Series: Pulse, #3
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Publication Date: September 12th 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
Piper Dawson has spent a lifetime living by other people’s rules.
She’s worked hard to get what she wants—a residency at her first choice hospital—and no one will ever tie her down again, not even her severe yet incredibly sexy supervisor, Dr. Alexander “Ace” Lennox.

Ace is done with love. He’s had his heart shattered, and he never wants to go there again. But when he’s inexplicably enticed by the sexy, tattooed woman with blue streaks in her hair and a perpetual smile on her lip, he figures that maybe he can keep it to just sex.

The problem? He thrives on control, and Piper dances just around the edges of it.

But when they're together, control is the first thing to go...

My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

My Review:
Claiming the Enemy is part of the Pulse series by Cathryn Fox, Mari Carr, and Lauren Hawkeye.  Each book is a stand alone but you see characters from the 2 books in this one.  I have not read the first two in the series and I didn't feel lost or as if I was missing a part of the story.  This is an opposites attract/enemies to lovers kind of romance with some heat.  There were some sizzling scenes between these two!

Piper has worked really hard to get where she is as an emergency room physician.  She was a foster child growing up and never felt as if she fit in.  Ace lost his wife to a drunk driver, so he has given up on love or letting anyone get close.  When Ace first meets Piper he is irritated by her but as he talks to her more, she breaks down his emotional walls.

I felt like things with Ace's mom were left a little unresolved.  The last we saw from her she was giving disapproving glances at Piper and trying to set Ace up with another girl.  I would have liked to see Ace finally stand up to his mom.  He let her get away with too much and I would have liked him to set her straight and stand up for Piper.  I also felt as if the plot of the story took a backseat to the "sexy times" a lot and would have liked to see more character development.  I didn't feel a strong emotional connection between the two.

** I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  **

Find It Here:

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog design!

    Oh bummers :( And I was really having a high expectation for the book after reading the blurb. I love electrifying romance and I think this book has so much potential, but I dislike underdeveloped plots especially ones I can't emotionally connect to. Anyway, I will still be adding this to my reading list! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! I like a little bit more plot to go along with my romance too, so I was bummed I didn't end up liking this one more.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground