ARC Review: Mercenary by Michele Mannon

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Title: Mercenary
Author: Michele Mannon
Series: Deadliest Lies, #2
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: Swerve
Publication Date: September 6th 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
Sometimes in life, choices just aren't part of the plan. When fate interferes and bulldozes right over you.

That's how I felt the first time I saw him. Standing in my kitchen, soaking wet, hotter than a man has the right to be, and holding a knife.

Declan's cold, stone-cold. I can't help but want him. His presence stirs up some raw emotion within me. He seems so...alone. But is he here to kill me or save me?

He's the one man I should never want...and the one I can never forget.


My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

My Review:
This book is the second in the Deadliest Lies series, and I would say that you probably shouldn't read it as a stand alone. I read the first in the series and was able to follow along easily, but I think if you only read this book  by itself you may end up a little confused as to what is going on at times. If books that contain violence aren't your thing then I would probably skip this one, it IS about mercenaries after all. lol!

Madelyn is a bit sheltered and also a naive, trusting, and honest person.  She is also a virgin with big dreams to get out of her small, dangerous town and go to college.  Her mother recently passed away and her sister has been pulling a disappearing act so she is lonely most of the time.  When she first sees Declan, she is instantly drawn to him and attracted to him.

Declan has always been a cold-hearted mercenary, until he meets Madelyn.  Even he doesn't understand why he feels the need to help her.  He feels the chemistry between the two of them but tries not to act on it because he "knows" Madelyn is to sweet and good for him.  He's been tasked with hunting down Madelyn's traitor sister and uses Madelyn to draw her out of hiding.

I am definitely in the minority when I say this, but I didn't end up enjoying this one quite as much as the first one.  I felt like it took a while for it to really get going.  I lost interest a few times and had to come back to it.  It took me a while to really feel the connection between the two of them.  They just didn't have the same spark as the couple from the first book (in my opinion).  I also thought Madelyn was way too forgiving when she found out that Declan was using her to get her sister to come out of hiding so he could kill her.  I feel like she should have maybe had some stronger feelings about that.

**  I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  **

Find It Here:

2 comments:

  1. I'd not heard of this book, or series! I'd probably read book one before reading this one, since you think it is necessary. But it sucks that this one isn't as great as book one! Hopefully you like the next book(s) in the series more. =)

    Wonderful review, Julie!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely think reading the first book would make it easier to understand what is going on. I felt more of a connection with the couple from the first book and thought the story moved along a little better.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground