New Release Review: The Deeper He Hurts by Lynda Aicher

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Title: The Deeper He Hurts
Author: Lynda Aicher
Series: Kick, #2
Genre: M/M Romance
Publisher: Loveswept
Publication Date: September 6th 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
Asher Ruggiero, a partner at Adrenaline Kick Adventures, is living a lie. As a control freak whose big Italian family thinks he’s straight, Asher likes his encounters concise, dirty, and discreet—until his company’s new rafting guide walks into work, dripping with brooding, intense sexuality. Sawyer Stevens is a mystery man with secrets and rough edges, and he makes Asher want to get to know him inside and out.

Ever since the tragic death of his parents, Sawyer has dedicated himself to the rush of adrenaline that comes from pleasure and pain. Moving from one guy to another, hiding when life gets too complicated—that’s all he can handle. So why does Asher make him long for something lasting and honest, when the gorgeous geek can’t even be true to himself? Sawyer wants to give Asher his heart, but he just doesn’t know how. After all, a life without integrity is a life without passion—and that’s the one thing Sawyer craves.

My Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

My Review:
I have read a few books from Lynda Aicher now, and I've enjoyed every one of them.  The Deeper He Hurts is the second book in her "Kick" series, but it can be read as a standalone.  I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this one as much as I did the last one because I read another review that explains that Sawyer is a "pain slut" and those aren't typically books that I read.  I read some BDSM but when it ventures farther into the "pain slut" category I usually stay away; but I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised with this one.  I ended up liking it even more than the first one!  As a warning: there are possible triggering scenes of self harm.

Asher looks like a typical preppy computer nerd at first glance but he hides a lot about himself away to fit the view he feels his parents need to see him in.  What his parents don't know is that not only is he gay, but he is also a sadist.  After learning that Asher was a sadist, I was surprised by his protective and loving side.  He was also a very detail oriented and a bit of a control freak.  I loved seeing all of the different facets to his personality.

Sawyer is a loner, whose past has caused him to purposefully keep his distance from people so he doesn't get any attachments.  He hasn't ever had a real relationship.  Asher is not what he expected at first glance but he can't help being drawn to him.  Sawyer has a tendency to push Asher away any time he gets close and keep his past a secret.

The two of them together had amazing chemistry, but also such a great connection.  It was more than just smut.  I absolutely loved these two together.  I can't wait for the next book in the series!  I love all the guys in this series.  It was fine seeing Micah and Grady, from the first book, again even just for a little bit.

** I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  **

Find It Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground