Review: Christmas Under A Cranberry Sky by Holly Martin

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Title: Christmas Under A Cranberry Sky
Author: Holly Martin
Series: A Town Called Christmas, #1
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: September 22nd 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
This year spend a wonderful Christmas on Juniper Island, where love can melt even the iciest of hearts…

Piper Chesterfield lives a glamorous life travelling the world and reviewing the finest hotels. She calls nowhere home, she works alone and that’s how she likes it. For long ago Piper decided that to protect her heart she should lock it away.

So when Piper’s next assignment brings her to the newly opened Stardust Lake Hotel for the festive season, the last person she expects to face is Gabe Whitaker, the man who broke her heart so completely she could never love again.

But Piper isn’t the only one who has been frozen in time by heartbreak. Gabe hasn’t forgotten the golden-eyed girl who disappeared from his world without a trace.

Now fate has reunited them on Juniper island, can the magic of Christmas heal old wounds? And can this enchanting town be the one place Piper can finally call home?

My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

My Review:
I have read 4 of Holly Martin's books before this one and was absolutely crazy about them so I snatched this one up as soon as I saw it on NetGalley.  Unfortunately I didn't end up loving it as much as the others.  Christmas Under a Cranberry Sky is the first book in her new series, A Town Called Christmas.

Piper has a lot of emotional baggage due to how she was raised (She was abandoned by her real mother, then adopted by a family where the "dad" didn't want anything to do with her) and also by the accident where her father lost his life.  She was under the impression that Gabe was cheating on her and that his family rejected her so she lived her life traveling place to place and never stopping too long or making any lasting relationships.

Gabe was heartbroken when Piper left him and decided he was never going to open his heart to another female again, so he only has meaningless flings but never anything lasting relationships.  He has a little girl from one of his past relationships that he has taken full responsibility for and is very protective of.

What I liked:
- I really the fun Christmas holiday feel of the town.  It sounds like somewhere I would really love to go one day.  Holly Martin has a way of describing a place so vividly that you can almost see it.

-Once Gabe's brother Luke stopped acting like a jerk, I ended up really liking him and can't wait for his story.

- I really like Piper.  She was really sweet with Gabe's daughter and had A LOT of patience when it came to Gabe's untrusting family.  (I would have left if people treated me the way they did her)

Things I did not like:
- I got really sick of everyone tearing Piper down for mistake she made 12 years ago for over half of the book, even when it was made clear that it was a big misunderstanding.  It got really old.

- I couldn't handle Gabe and his hot and cold attitude towards her.  She left 12 years ago and yes, it broke your heart but that makes her completely unfit to be around his daughter for any short period of time?  Really?

-The way Gabe handled the conflict at the end made me want to hit him.  He accuses her of running away and does the same himself?  Yep, sounds about right.

- We constantly have to hear about Gabe and his man-whoring ways after Piper left, because it "helped him get over her", and then Piper hasn't had sex since she was with him....12 years ago.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you didn't love this one - the cover looks so cute and cheery! Like a really light Christmassy read.

    From your review I can definitely see why this one didn't agree with you and I think I would have a big problem with it as well although I might check out this author's other works as you have enjoyed them and her writing sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Again with the grudge holding for 12 years! I'm sorry that this book did not live up to your expectations but I'm glad that there are still things that you liked about it :D I always loved a story with festive vibes and Piper seemed like a strong one, I just wished Gabe wouldn't be such a jerk :/ Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground