Review: Dyeing to be Loved by Aimee Nicole Walker

Friday, November 25, 2016

Title: Dyeing to be Loved
Author: Aimee Nicole Walker
Series: Curl Up and Dye Mysteries, #1
Genre: M/M Romance
Publication Date: November 8th 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon

Synopsis:
Gabriel Wyatt is a big city Detective living in a small Ohio town. He expects a peaceful existence once he moves from Miami, Florida, but that’s the last thing he finds. Instead, Gabe discovers murder, mayhem, and one smart-mouthed stylist he can’t get out of his head.

Josh “Jazz” Roman is a small town salon owner with big dreams and an attitude to match. He finds himself in the middle of a case that brings the dreamy detective to his front door. Josh learns that the biggest threat to him isn’t a killer; it’s a man who wants something from him that he vowed to never give again - his heart.

Both men deny that there’s something between them, even though they’re drawn together like magnets. Can Gabe convince Josh to let down his guard or will Josh let past hurts destroy his chance at a happy future?

My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

My Review:
I went back and forth on how to rate this one for a while, and decided on a 3.

I normally absolutely love Aimee Nicole Walker's books, but I was a little disappointed with the past two I read.  I'm not ready to give up on her yet, but I will admit that I loved her earlier books better.

I didn't realize when I first started this one that it was a sort of continuation of the two MCs story from another story.  I assumed that since it was the first book in the series I would be okay to read this one.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be the case.  There was definitely a big backstory between the two of them that I missed out on because I didn't read a short story that was published in the "Nut Case Love Anthology" first.  When we first meet the characters in this book, they have already hooked up AND Gabe apparently saved Josh's life when he was attacked by his neighbors murderer.  Confused??  Yeah...I was too.

I really loved Josh's character some of the time, and then other time I wanted to shake him for being so difficult.  Relationship-phobic doesn't even begin to describe Josh.  He was hot and cold the entire book because he had been burned in the past.  BUT we never get to hear how!  I was waiting to find out what his deal was but we never got to find out.  Maybe it will be covered in the next book??  There were times that I wondered why Gabe even bothered and why he liked him at all.

This book has a HFN style ending but the ending leaves you in suspense for the next book.

Find It Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground