My 2017 Reading Challenges

Thursday, December 29, 2016

The only Reading Challenge that I've ever tried has been the Goodreads Challenge, and I have surpassed my goal two years in a row, so I decided to try a couple other challenges while I was at it.  My Goodreads goal for 2016 was 200 books and I have currently read 285 books!  With my migraines getting worse I am afraid to go any higher, so I am going to stay at a Goodreads goal of 200 books again for 2017.

 One of my biggest goals in 2017 is to read more books on my backlist.  I have a bad habit of pushing them off in favor of new releases and end up not getting to them at all.  I also still want to read a lot of new releases...because, who doesn't, really?  I found two challenges that I'm hoping will keep me motivated:

The Beat the Backlist Challenge is focused on knocking off titles that have been on your TBR for a while, or even ones that get pushed aside for new releases. This challenge doesn’t have levels or a set number of books you need to read. You set your own reading goal, pick the books. and read at your own pace.  This challenge will run from January 1st, 2017 to December 31st, 2017.  Books must be released prior to 2017.

Hosted by: The Novel Knight
Hashtag: #BeatTheBacklist
Goal: 50 books
Progress: 14/50

You can sign up for the challenge HERE

Here is my list on Goodreads for the challenge:

I added a tentative list below because I feel like it's REALLY satisfying to cross things off when I finish them. lol!  But some of these may change!  Also, these are all books that I own or that I can get from Kindle Unlimited.  I tried to get a nice mix of genres.
  1. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  2. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - Review
  3. The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
  4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer Review
  5. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer Review
  6. Cress by Marissa Meyer
  7. Winter by Marissa Meyer
  8. Heartless Marissa Meyer
  9. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  10. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
  11. A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
  12. #Junkie by Cambria Hebert - Review
  13. #Rev by Cambria Hebert - Review
  14. Wolfsong by T.J. Klune Review
  15. Aced by Ella Frank and Brooke Blaine - Review
  16. Locked by Ella Frank and Brooke Blaine - Review
  17. Fierce & Fabulous by Elizabeth Varlet
  18. Dark & Dazzling by Elizabeth Varlet
  19. Road-Tripped by Nicole Archer
  20. Adorkable by Cookie O'Gorman
  21. Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park
  22. Secret by Kindle Alexander
  23. The Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi Belleau and Rachel Haimowitz - Review
  24. Time to Die by Caroline Mitchell
  25. The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell
  26. Widdershins by Jordan L. Hawk
  27. Strawberries for Dessert by Marie Sexton
  28. Follow You Home by Mark Edwards
  29. Strong Enough by Cardeno C.
  30. Dance with Me by Heidi Cullinan Review
  31. Country Mouse by Amy Lane
  32. Beyond the Surface by Felice Stevens Review
  33. Second to None by Felice Stevens Review
  34. Memories of the Heart by Felice Stevens
  35. A Stolen Kiss by Kelsey Keating Review
  36. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  37. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  38. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  39. Hell & High Water by Charlie Cochet
  40. 3AM Kisses by Addison Moore
  41. Winter Kill by Josh Lanyon
  42. We are Still Tornadoes by Michael Kun
  43. The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy
  44. Accelerate by Tracy Wolff
  45. Roped in L.P. Dover
  46. Monsters: A Love Story by Liz Kay
  47. Stranded by HelenKay Dimon Review
  48. A Fashionable Indulgence by K.J. Charles
  49. The Firebird's Tale by Anya Ow
  50. Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs

Hashtag: #2017NewReleaseChallenge
Goal: Level 4 - (101-200 books per year – New Release Enthusiast)
I'm shooting for about 125 books!
Progress: 46/125

You can sign up for the challenge HERE

Here is my list on Goodreads for the Challenge:

Progress: (I will list them as I complete them)
(links take you to my Goodreads review)

  1. Afraid to Fly by L.A. Witt
  2. A Stolen Crown by Kelsey Keating
  3. Embers by Kate Sherwood
  4. Working It by Christine D'Abo
  5. Rescued by Love by Melissa Foster
  6. At Close Range by Laura Griffin
  7. Planned Seduction by Jess Dee
  8. Fake Engagement Real Temptation by Joya Ryan
  9. Something to Dye For by Aimee Nicole Walker
  10. At Attention by Annabeth Albert
  11. Danced Close by Annabeth Albert
  12. Dating Ryan Alback by J.E. Birk
  13. Not In My Wildest Dreams by Jamie Hollins
  14. An Unseen Attraction by K.J. Charles
  15. Love Story by Lauren Layne
  16. Single Malt by Layla Reyne
  17. Darkness by Kate Sherwood
  18. Home Fires by Kate Sherwood
  19. Optimists Die First by Susin Nielsen
  20. Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde
  21. Cask Strength by Layla Reyne
  22. The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
  23. Hard Wired by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell
  24. Risky Behavior by L.A. Witt & Cari Z
  25. Traveler by L.E. DeLano
  26. Summer Stock by Vanessa North
  27. Dyed and Gone to Heaven by Aimee Nicole Walker
  28. Lucky by Carina Adams
  29. Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
  30. Geekerella by Ashley Poston
  31. His Last Defense by Karen Rock
  32. At First Blush by Beth Ellyn Summer
  33. Surrender the Dark by Tibby Armstrong
  34. Wedlocked by Ella Frank & Brooke Blaine
  35. The Return of the Earl by Sandra Schwab
  36. On Point by Annabeth Albert
  37. The Thing About Love by Julie James
  38. Faking It by Christine D'Abo
  39. Meg & Linus by Hanna Nowinski
  40. Back Piece by L.A. Witt
  41. Barrel Proof by Layla Reyne
  42. Heels Over Head by Elyse Springer
  43. Cry Wolf by Greta Stone
  44. Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
  45. Save the Date by Annabeth Albert & Wendy Qualls
  46. Love and Vandalism by Laurie Boyle Crompton

Are you doing any reading Challenges in 2017?

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm debating on whether or not to add another challenge or two but maybe I will start small this year. lol!

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy The Hunger Games...I so much want to reread that series but I can't until I tame the savage beast that is my tbr! I'm picking my ebooks for January and my series reads but it's hard when I want to read everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably one of the only people that still haven't seen or read The Hunger Games. I've had it on my TBR forever but it always ends up getting pushed aside. I'm determined to read it soon! I was thinking of rereading Carry On by Rainbow Rowell soon but now I'm wondering if I should wait. lol!

      Delete
  3. Phew, lots of backlist! That's a great challenge though - I'm sure ever bookworm's bookshelves are overflowing with backlist books that have gone unread. Best of luck, Julie!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, I trying to really focus on my backlist in 2017. I feel like I keep pushing some really great books back for others and I want to make time to get to them this coming year. And thanks so much, I may need it! lol

      Delete
  4. I really need to try to read more of my backlist, too! I highly recommend the Lunar Chronicles, hope you enjoy them! Best of luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles! I got them for Christmas and can't wait to read them.

      Delete
  5. Oh I have been wanting to read #Junkie and #Rev (and #Swag and soon #blur too!). So many good books and not enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I feel like my TBR list is taking over! lol!! I've heard so many good thing about #Junkie and #Rev that I had to put them on the list.

      Delete
  6. I like that Beat the Backlist challenge because I think it's so hard for us bloggers to resist the new shinies lol. We need help getting to the backlisted titles! Love that list too- I see several on there I want to read. Landline, Eleanor & Park, and The Last of the Firedrakes looked fabulous w/ that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Exactly! I get so excited about the new releases coming out that I always end up pushing back some potentially great reads! I hope you get to read some off of your backlist too!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your challenges, beat the backlist sounds interesting :) Keep in touch x Benish @ Beenazai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm excited to give these challenges a try, it's been a challenge to keep myself from starting early. (Before Jan 1st) lol!

      Delete
  8. YES, it is a great feeling to cross titles off your list! And you have some great books on your list, books that are so hard to get around to with all the great new book around. Good luck, girl!!! You'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. lol! Thank you so much! <3 I'm really excited about giving these challenges a try

      Delete
  9. So many great books on your BeattheBacklist TBR. Good luck with all of your challenges this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I'm super excited to read a lot of these, so hopefully I won't get too sidetracked with new releases. lol! It's a struggle. I think having a list will keep me focused.

      Delete
  10. Cool challenges! You've made me want to check them out now AND try to participate. I just don't know if I'll manage it all...

    Best of luck to you and your reading goals and I hope you manage to exceed your goals again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm a little nervous about being able to keep it all up, but I figured I would give it a shot anyway. lol Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment?!

      Thank you so much! Fingers crossed!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground