Review: Holiday with a Twist by Shannon Stacey

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Title: Holiday with a Twist
Author: Shannon Stacey
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: November 21st 2016
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
After a messy breakup, Leigh Holloway is ready to start her life over. Until her parents put the family home on the market and call her back for one final, memory-making Christmas. The last thing she wants to do is deprive her mom of the perfect holiday, so she'll lie her way through the visit and worry about her future in the New Year. Too bad the only bar in town is owned by a guy she seriously wronged in high school.

Leigh's best friend broke Croy Dawson's heart, and Croy knows it was Leigh's fault. They've never liked each other, but Croy isn't cruel: he'd never turn away a pretty woman in need of some family-Christmas fortification. He doesn't expect her to drink just enough candy-cane martinis to tell him her secrets—and he definitely doesn't expect to get caught up in her holiday madness.

Despite the surprising love and laughter, Croy and Leigh can't escape the truth: he can't walk away from his family obligations and she has a life and career to reboot. But anything is possible if your holiday comes with a twist…

My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

My Review:
Holiday with a Twist was a cute, quick, holiday read.  I've really enjoyed a lot of Shannon Stacey's other books and I'm also a huge fan of holiday romances, so I knew I wanted to check out this one.  I didn't think it was a bad story by any means but I also don't think there was anything super memorable about this one that I will remember it in a month or so.  Does that make sense??  Nothing wowed me, I guess.  The characters and the story didn't have enough time to develop.

The book starts with a warning that it ends around 80% and includes an excerpt of another story.  I really wish Shannon Stacey would have used that last little bit to make a stronger HEA for the two of them.  Everything just felt too easy and rushed, which sometimes happens with novella length stories.  I think an epilogue would have been a great way to make their story a little bit stronger.

I thought the two MCs had some really cute moments together tho, and I'm glad there wasn't any unnecessary drama added in.  I also really enjoyed some of the secondary characters.

If you are looking for a super quick holiday romance fix then this may be the book for you.  Overall I think this one was just "okay" for me.  I wanted just a little bit more

**  I received a copy of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  **

Find It Here:

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad this was a quick holiday read without too much drama. I REALLY need those kind of books from time to time!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean! Sometimes I just need something with no drama.

      Hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  2. I have totally seen this book around and for some weird reason thought it was a book with cocktail recipes LOL. Yeah the holidays are getting to me. It sounds cute but the ending sounds like it would bother me that it was rushed. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I could totally see that! And yeah, I'm not a huge fan of rushed endings either, it never feels like a true HEA.

      Delete
  3. I've not read anything by Shannon Stacey! I'm glad you enjoyed it, though it's too bad it wasn't a really good one that you'll want to reread? I know what you mean. I love HEAs so I want a good one and not too rushed, when I read romance novels. Hopefully your next read impresses you a lot!

    Great review! Happy holidays, Julie. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa!

      I've read a few of Shannon Stacey's other books and really enjoyed them so I was surprised when I wasn't super crazy about this one.

      Hope you had a great holiday!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground