Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: January 3rd 2012

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 


I went back and forth on how to rate this one, and finally settled somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars. When I first read the synopsis of this book, I did not think it was something that I was going to like so I didn't pick it up. As time went on, more and more of my friends read it and raved about how amazing this series was so I decided to give it a try. I've never been so happy to be wrong! I absolutely LOVED this! I can't get enough of it. I'm so happy that I bought the whole series because I don't think I would be able to wait to read the next one. I NEED to know what happens.

I always love the idea of a fairytale re-telling, but I feel like so many books that try fail epically. That was not the case at all with this one. I ended up reading the whole thing in just two days because I couldn't put it down. There are so many twist and turns, that it kept me guessing what was going to happen. Marissa Meyer does an amazing job of bringing you into their world and describing what it's like, without being overkill.

I don't want to give too much of the story away, so I've decided not to talk too much about that but I loved that Cinder was a strong female character. I mean who would have thought the Cinder(ella) character would be a mechanic and also a cyborg?! Prince Kai was really sweet and I can't wait to see how things develop between Kai, Cinder, and Queen Levana. I think the only reason that I couldn't give this book 5 stars is because a lot of things remained unsettled... I mean, duh, it's a series but I love some closure and things are just so up in the air at the end. BUT that being said, I loved just about everything else about this book. I'm on to start the next one...

Find It Here:

6 comments:

  1. I did the same thing! I didn't think I would like it so I didn't pick it up for a long time. I loved this and the rest of the series - Winter was an epic ending. Hope you love the rest too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This series definitely has me hooked! I'm about to start the 3rd book now! It really didn't sound like it was a book that I was going to like but I love it!

      Delete
  2. Same! I remember picking it up the first time at the behest of several people and thinking - no, this isn't for me. And wouldn't you know it - I ran to get Scarlet as soon as I finished. E Very book leaves things up in the air until the finale with Winter. But I suggest also reading Fairest, the companion novel about Queen Levana, after you read the first three and before you get to Winter. Such a great series!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first two so far, and I'm planning to start Cress today! I'm definitely hooked! I'm sure I will definitely be picking up Fairest once I have the series finished.

      Delete
  3. See now, I picked this one up almost the second it was released and the second one, too. Loved them to death (by the way don't skip the novellas in between because they are fab and explain stuff), but then I've sat on Cress, Fairest, and Winter forever. I already had these on the list for this years TBR stack challenge to finish. You've given me even more motivation with your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yayy glad I could help with some motivation. I was going to read the novellas after reading Cress and Winter. Do you think I should read them in between instead?? I really wanted to start Cress today but a migraine forced me to take it easy and nap for a while. Hopefully I can read it soon because I really want to know what happens! lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground