Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Friday, January 20, 2017

Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #2
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: February 5th 2013

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner. 


 I can definitely see why this series has been recommended to me so many times.  I am absolutely hooked.  Once I pick these books up, I can't stop until I'm finished and I pick up the next one.  Scarlet is the second book in Marissa Meyer's series The Lunar Chronicles.  I don't think I would suggest reading this one unless you read the first book in the series first.  I think you would miss a great deal of the plot.

In this book, we are introduced to some new characters, mainly; Scarlet, Wolf, and Thorne.  I get a pretty strong Han Solo vibe from Thorne...anyone else feel that way??  No...?  Maybe?  Anyway, I really love his character and can't wait to see more from him in the next book, Cress.  I also really love Wolf.  Marissa Meyer does a great job of writing strong and fierce female characters, because neither Cinder or Scarlet are the type to give up or cower in a corner.

The changing POVs were a little frustrating at first because every time something really exciting was happening we would jump to the other set of character. lol!  It made this book extremely hard to put down because I needed to see what happened.


Find It Here:

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I read Cinder when it published, but then I never continued with the series. I can definitely see how the multiple POVs would be frustrating - I hate that, when the POV switches and the scene changes and what I really want is to be in that scene that just ended with a juicy or crucial thing happening. But it sounds like the series is going well for you so far, which is awesome!

    Wonderful review, Julie. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The multiple POVs were great for building suspense but I still had a lot of "oh come on!!!" moments. lol! I almost wanted to skip ahead to finish the scene then backtrack. haha! I'm definitely loving this series so far! I hope you get to read the rest of the series too.

      Delete
  2. YES! I'm so so SO glad you're reading this series! After Harry Potter, it's my favorite series! All of the characters are just so wonderful and I love the futuristic setting! I can't wait until you meet Captain Thorn in the next book! *swoon*
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was in this one a bit, but I know he has a much bigger role in Cress so I'm super excited. I feel like he has a Han Solo vibe and I love it. lol! I have a feeling he is going to be my favorite. Loving this series!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground