Review: Beyond the Surface by Felice Stevens

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Title: Beyond the Suface
Author: Felice Stevens
Series: The Breakfast Club, #1
Genre: M/M Romance
Publication Date: August 17th 2015


On 9/11, firefighter Nick Fletcher’s world changed forever. He's unable to rid himself of survivor’s guilt, made worse by the secret he hides from his family and co-workers. Nick's life is centered around helping burn victims, until he is reunited with the man he’d once loved but pushed away. Now he has a second chance at a love he thought lost forever.

For fashion designer Julian Cornell, appearances mean everything. His love affairs are strictly casual, and the only thing he cares about is making his clothing line a success. A chance encounter with the man he loved long ago has Julian thinking for the first time in years there may be more to life than being seen at the best parties and what designer labels to wear.

When Julian’s world takes an unexpected turn, it's Nick who helps him regain perspective on what matters most in life. Julian, in turn, helps Nick accept who he is and understand he isn’t responsible for tragedies he couldn't prevent. Lost love found can be even sweeter the second time around and after all the years apart, both men learn to look beyond the surface to find the men they are inside.




 I've had this one hanging around on my Kindle for a long time, and I've been trying to tackle my TBR/Backlist, so I tried out this one.  This is the first book in The Breakfast Club series.  All of the books in the series can be read as a stand alone.  I actually already read the 2nd book in the series, so I decided to grab this one because I was curious about these two characters.  While these books are stand alones, there are 3 best friends and each gets their one book for their love story.

I love a good second chance romance and this one definitely falls into that category.  Nick is a closeted gay firefighter with PTSD.  I really loved Julian's character.  He was really sweet and had a big heart.  I thought the chemistry developed a little weird between the two of them but once they really decided to give it a go, it was great.  They had some great steamy moments.

There were a couple things that bothered me, like: how everything was just a little TOO neat and happy at the end.  The homophobe magically has a change of heart and apologizes, alone with Julian's nemesis.  Also, Nick's dad gets over his issues with his son being gay almost instantly. I DID like how things ended in the book with Nick and Julian.  It was super cute.

I also have book #3 in this series, so I'm really excited to read about Marcus' story!

Find It Here: 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you to get to books on the back of your TBR pile. I've got this one too and it's sat there waiting for my attention. :)

    It can be sweet to have a book tie up so easily, but yeah, it's not really likely that all those people would change so much and so quickly.

    Nice review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love a great happy ending because there are times when things just seem a little too neat and tidy. I'm excited to check a few more books off of my TBR/Backlist. I've been trying to get my reviews read in advance so I can tackle more of these.

      Hope you get to read it soon! It is a sweet story!

      Delete
  2. This is a new one for me. It sounds like it had a lot of great elements even if it did wrap up a little too neatly. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really sweet story. I think it's just a strange pet peeve of mine when things are too easy or a little too neat and tidy at the end.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground