Review: Love Story by Lauren Layne

Friday, February 24, 2017

Title: Love Story
Author: Lauren Layne
Series: Love Unexpectedly, #3
Genre: M/F Romance
Publisher: Loveswept
Publication Date: February 14th 2017


Over the course of one wild road trip, feuding childhood sweethearts get a second chance at love in this charming rom-com—a standalone novel from the USA Today bestselling author of Blurred Lines and Good Girl.

When Lucy Hawkins receives a job offer in San Francisco, she can’t wait to spread her wings and leave her small Virginia hometown behind. Her close-knit family supports her as best they can, by handing over the keys to a station wagon that’s seen better days. The catch? The cross-country trip comes with a traveling companion: her older brother’s best friend, aka the guy who took Lucy’s virginity hours before breaking her heart.

After spending the past four years and every last dime caring for his sick father, Reece Sullivan will do just about anything to break free of the painful memories—even if it means a two-week road trip with the one girl who’s ever made it past his carefully guarded exterior. But after long days of bickering in the car turn into steamy nights in secluded motel rooms, Reece learns that, when it comes to Lucy, their story is far from over. And this time, they just might have a shot at a happy ending.




 As soon as I saw this one listed I knew I wanted to read it. I almost always love everything from Lauren Layne. Love Story is the third book in the "Love Unexpectedly" series, but can be read as a standalone. I read the first book in the series, Blurred Lines, and they don't seem to be connected at all. Blurred Lines is my all time favorite read from Lauren Layne so I was excited to read something from the same series. Unfortunately, I did not end up loving it as much as I had hoped.

Second chance romances are typically one of my favorite kind of romances, along with friends to lovers stories. This one happens to be both, so I figured I would love it. Unfortunately, I really disliked Reece. Like, REALLY didn't like him. He was always angry and said some really horrible, unforgivable things to Lucy.

Somehow Lucy, still has feelings for him after everything and lets him in her heart (and pants) again. Only for him to continue treating her horribly. Don't get me wrong I love grumpy heroes, but only when they have redeeming qualities, which he really didn't. I get that he didn't have the easiest childhood, losing his mom early, his dad checking out on him, and his sister leaving him but it didn't make sense for him to treat her the way he did. He basically forced her away from him when they were young and then throws a hissy fit when she tries to move on. 

By the end of the story I wanted to see a huge groveling scene from him for me to even want them to be together a little bit, but was again disappointed. I ended up feeling like she forgave him too much and way too easily. I was more frustrated than anything by the end of this one. This just wasn't a winner for me at all, but don't let my opinion sway you. You may enjoy it more than me.

*I received an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. *


Find It Here: 

2 comments:

  1. I usually like those romance tropes too. Sorry Reece was so awful though. You can't have the love interest always saying horrible things and expect everyone to buy the romance.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm all for the surly hero who is actually a teddy bear underneath all the growling but he was just nasty the whole time. I normally really love Lauren Layne books so I was surprised when I didn't love this one.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground