Review: Wolfsong by TJ Klune

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Title: Wolfsong
Author: TJ Klune
Genre: M/M Romance, Fantasy
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publication Date: June 20th 2016


Ox was twelve when his daddy taught him a very valuable lesson. He said that Ox wasn’t worth anything and people would never understand him. Then he left.

Ox was sixteen when he met the boy on the road, the boy who talked and talked and talked. Ox found out later the boy hadn’t spoken in almost two years before that day, and that the boy belonged to a family who had moved into the house at the end of the lane.

Ox was seventeen when he found out the boy’s secret, and it painted the world around him in colors of red and orange and violet, of Alpha and Beta and Omega.

Ox was twenty-three when murder came to town and tore a hole in his head and heart. The boy chased after the monster with revenge in his bloodred eyes, leaving Ox behind to pick up the pieces.

It’s been three years since that fateful day—and the boy is back. Except now he’s a man, and Ox can no longer ignore the song that howls between them.



 Wolfsong is the first book I've ever read by TJ Klune, and I am so glad that I gave it a chance.  I am a huge fan of wolf shifter fantasy and a lot of my friends were recommending it, so I figured why not.  It took me a really long time to get into the way it was written.  It's really hard to explain how it was but I guess the best way I can think of is choppy.  A lot of what is being written is what is going on in Ox's head and he thinks about a mile a minute.  And let's face it, he's a bit awkward. lol!

This book really put me through all of the feels; it made me smile, it broke my heart, and it made me angry and hopeful at times.  I felt as if there were a couple areas of the story that really dragged on or were really repetitive, but I still really enjoyed it overall.

The romance in this book takes a REALLY long time to get going....probably because when Ox and Joe first meet, Joe is only 10 years old and Ox is a teenager.  That sounds a little weird, but nothing creepy every happens, I swear! lol! There are a couple steamy scenes in this one, but not many.  So if you are going into this one looking for a bunch of steamy scenes then this probably isn't the book for you.  This is much more plot focused and suspenseful. I really fell in love with the whole Bennett family and can't wait to read the next book in the series.  But I just saw somewhere that it won't be out until 2018...ugghhh!  I'm so not a patient person.  This book does not end in a cliffhanger.  There are some things that are unresolved plot-wise, but things with Ox and Joe are solid.

Find It Here: 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that synopsis. The reputation of the character's first name at the start of each sentence definitely is remarkable. I'd not heard of this book before! It sucks that the romance is a little slow-going (and it does sound a little strange?) but it's good that the story does not end in a cliffhanger. Hopefully the next book is more fulfilling!

    Wonderful review, Julie! Have a great week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, it gives you a little taste of the strange writing style, even in the synopsis. The relationship is definitely very slow going, it focuses a lot of them getting to know each other and becoming friends at the beginning, and then learning more about wold shifters, before FINALLY shifting towards romance. lol! It was frustrating, but in the end I felt like it was worth it and enjoyed it.

      Thank you Alyssa! Hope you are having a great week too!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't decided if I want to read this one since I'm not a fan of shifter books, but I loved Klune's Immemorial Year duology and enjoyed Murmuration, so I do like his books. And ooh, I do also like slow burn romances! I guess if the next one doesn't come out until 2018 I have plenty of time to decide and can get the book once both are out so I won't have to wait :-P Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, you have a while to decide. And thanks! I hadn't read anything by Klune before this one, but this one is definitely very shifter focused, so I'm not sure if it's something you would enjoy or not. Could be worth a try?

      Delete
  3. I don't read a lot of shifter books, but this sounds promising! I admit I am a little leery of the relationship because of the ages, but I'll trust you that nothing creepy happens, lol.

    The writing style sounds a little iffy to me but I am intrigued. I also love the lack of cloffhanger! I haaaate those --- especially when the next book isn't out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, at first I was a little weirded out when the characters first meet because of the age gap and them being so young, but it starts a good friendship and nothing happens until they are both of age. lol! And it takes a LONG TIME for them to get there.

      I am not a fan of cliffhangers either, but this one was done right. They leave you satisfied with the characters but there is still more in the plot that is left unresolved. I'm so bad with cliffhangers that I sometimes wait for a whole series to be out before I will start it, so I don't have to wait. lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground