Review: The Bone Witch by Rin Chopeco

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Title: The Bone Witch
Author: Rin Chupeco
Series: The Bone Witch, #1
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publication Date: March 7th 2017


 Let me be clear: I never intended to raise my brother from his grave, though he may claim otherwise. If there's anything I've learned from him in the years since, it's that the dead hide truths as well as the living.

When Tea accidentally resurrects her brother from the dead, she learns she is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy means that she's a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community. But Tea finds solace and guidance with an older, wiser bone witch, who takes Tea and her brother to another land for training.

In her new home, Tea puts all her energy into becoming an asha-one who can wield elemental magic. But dark forces are approaching quickly, and in the face of danger, Tea will have to overcome her obstacles...and make a powerful choice.



This was my first read by Rin Chopeco, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this one.  I saw the cover and read the synopsis and knew I had to request it right away.  I didn't realize right away that this one was going to have a sequel, but I'm glad it does because it left me wanting more.

What I liked:

- I LOVED Tea and her brothers close relationship.  Since Tea has brought him back from the dead he becomes her familiar and can sense her distress.  The familiar/asha bond is even stronger because he is a protective big brother.

- Rin Chopeco does a really great job building the world.  At times it feels like there is a lot to remember but eventually it all clicked for me.

What I didn't like:

- As I mentioned above, Chopeco has a very descriptive writing style (which isn't really a bad thing!), so be prepared to hear details upon details describing their outfits.  I wasn't too bothered by that, but I felt like we were "told" a lot instead of being shown things.  I felt like her characters ended up lacking personalities because of this.

- I expected a little more action and adventure, to be honest.  It looks like things are headed that way for the next book though!

- Oh, also it seems as if we are heading straight into love triangle territory, which if you've read my reviews you know that isn't really my thing.

This story definitely reminded me of a mixture of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Memoirs of a Geisha, just as it was described in the synopsis.  I will say that this one definitely has some slow moments that left me struggling to get through it, but all of that being said, I will definitely be reading the second book because I really need to know what happens!! 

** I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. **


Find It Here:

10 comments:

  1. I was really considering this book before (because that cover!! omg!) but this book received so much disappointed reviews. It still sounds like a nice read but I don't think it's something that's ever going to be at the top of my tbr list. Still might consider it though. Great review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is really gorgeous! I think the big thing is that I was expecting a lot more action and there was more storytelling then anything going on, which is fine, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The second one sounds like it's going to have more going on tho. Thank you, Czai!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Julie. I had the same issue with feeling like there was too much description and not enough action, but I'm hoping now that we've gotten all of that description out of the way, that the second book will be incredible based on the hints we were given about Tea and her plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking the next book is going to have a lot more action so I'm excited to read that one. I'm not sure if I'm going to love the romance tho...we'll see. lol! Thanks Suzanne!

      Delete
  3. Julie! Great review! I have heard a lot of negative reviews for this one, plus descriptions are not my cup of tea so guess I will just pass it up :/
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Prabhleen! Yeah, I haven't heard to many overwhelmingly positive reviews for it either. I think everyone was expecting a little more action and little less detail.

      Delete
  4. I've seen some mixed reviews on this one but really want to give it a try. I'm apprehensive about love triangles but I really want to see if this book can be a good one for me! I'm glad you mostly liked it, and it sounds like I really need to give it a try. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it's definitely worth a try. Just don't expect an overload of action or much romance and you may be fine! I really enjoyed the descriptive storytelling but it doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea. lol. Thanks Di!

      Delete
  5. Very thoughtful review! I have read mixed reviews, but this did make the March LibraryReads list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews for this one too. I enjoyed it a lot, I just wanted more action, I think. I will still be reading the next book. I need to know what happens! lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground