Review: The Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi Belleau & Rachel Haimowitz

Friday, March 3, 2017

Title: The Burnt Toast B&B
Authors: Heidi Belleau & Rachel Haimowitz
Series: A Bluewater Bay Story, #5
Genre: M/M Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: January 10th 2015

 After breaking his arm on set, Wolf’s Landing stuntman Ginsberg Sloan finds himself temporarily out of work. Luckily, Bluewater Bay’s worst B&B has cheap long-term rates, and Ginsberg’s not too proud to take advantage of them.

Derrick Richards, a grizzled laid-off logger, inherited the B&B after his parents’ untimely deaths. Making beds and cooking sunny-side-up eggs is hardly Derrick’s idea of a man’s way to make a living, but just as he’s decided to shut the place down, Ginsberg shows up on his doorstep, pitiful and soaking wet, and Derrick can hardly send him packing.

Not outright, at least.

The plan? Carry on the B&B’s tradition of terrible customer service and even worse food until the pampered city-boy leaves voluntarily. What Derrick doesn’t count on, though, is that the lousier he gets at hosting, the more he convinces bored, busybody Ginsberg to try to get the B&B back on track. And he definitely doesn’t count on the growing attraction between them, or how much more he learns from Ginsberg than just how to put out kitchen fires.




This is the first book that I've ever read by either one of these authors, but I have read a couple of the other books in this series, like How the Cookie Crumbles, but all of these books can be read as standalones.  They all take place in the same town so you will sometimes see characters pop up in some of the other books.  This is my first time reading a steamy romance with a trans MC, so I was really excited.  I would call this one a slow burn style romance too, they take a while to get to know each other.

Derrick is not a very happy guy at the beginning of this story.  He comes across as a very gruff and grumpy guy.  He feels stuck with his parent's B&B, and wants to get back to doing "men's work" because he doesn't feel as if cooking and cleaning are things he should be doing.  He decides that he is going to give up the B&B, but right before he does Ginsberg shows up on his doorstep needing a place to stay.  I had my love and hate moments when it came to Derrick.  He was grumpy bear antics mixed with his soft-hearted moments really won me over....but have you ever wanted to shake a character when they do stupid things?  I had a few moments with him

I loved Ginsberg.  He was such a sweetheart.  He loves helping people, and being social.  When he sees the state of the B&B he almost instantly wants to help Derrick fix it up.  He also helps Derrick become a little more social.  I got made in Ginsberg's defense a couple times in this book when Derrick would put his foot in his mouth.

I enjoyed returning to the the small town and the atmosphere again, and will be picking up a few others from the series too.  I enjoyed this one but I didn't love it as much as I expected too.

* I received a copy of this title via Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *


Find It Here: AmazonGoodreadsBarnes & Noble

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't know about this book or the authors, but it sounds like a quick, fun and interesting read! May need to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was just "okay" for me. I didn't love it or hate it. I expected to like it a little more than I did tho. Both of these authors were new to me too.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed several books from this series, too. I've read the stories here and there and need to read a handful to get caught up. Grumpy characters can be a ticklish thing to get right because too much can make them not really likeable. I remember thinking Derrick was grumpy and Ginsberg a little pushy for my taste- though he meant well and I did like that the authors had a trans hero- so I rated it average.

    Thanks, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derrick was definitely a big grump for quite a while, and I can definitely see where Ginsberg was a bit pushy at times. I ended up thinking this one was "just okay" too. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.

      Delete
  3. Haha..usually I want to slap characters in the back of the head Gibbs style from NCIS.I will have to look at the series. I like that they all work as standalone. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes, I have definitely wanted to give out a few slaps Gibbs style too. I really love longer romance series' that all connect but can be read as standalones. That way I can stay in that world for just a little bit longer.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I LOVE grumpy bear men!!! I actually married one so I totally get it ;) Great review! The 3 star reviews are sometimes the hardest for me to write... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like the grumpy bears sometimes too. I actually married the easy-going guy....I'm the grumpy bear. hahaha! And yes, I have a hard time writing reviews that I feel sort of middle of the road with. If it's bad I have no problem, if it's great even easier, but when it's "just okay" it's so much harder. lol!

      Delete
  5. What a title! I kind of like grumpy characters. I don't think I have read a book with a trans MC so I am intrigued. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't seen too many books with a trans MC either so I was intrigued too. I do seem to have a thing for the grumpy characters too. lol!

      Delete
  6. interesting story though, is it more like a friendship relationship or should i be expecting more ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely more! There are a few steamy scenes between the two of them.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as you'd hoped. I have also read How the Cookie Crumbles, and I thought it was enjoyable.

    And yes, I have been so frustrated with a character that I just wanted to shake them! :)

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! At lease I'm not the only one that gets urges to shake characters. lol! This wasn't a bad book at all...it was "just okay". I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground