Review: Danced Close by Annabeth Albert

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Title: Danced Close
Author: Annabeth Albert
Series: Portland Heat, #6
Genre: M/M Romance
Publisher: Lyrical Shine
Publication Date: March 14th 2017


Newly clean and sober, Todd's taken a shine to his job at Portland's most talked about bakery. It's not just the delicious desserts they sell, but the tasty treats who keep walking through the door. That certainly includes Kendall Rose, a wedding planner with eyes the color of brown sugar and skin to match. Todd doesn't try to hide his attraction to Kendall's elegant confidence and unique style, even as he worries about exposing the secrets of his past. 

For Kendall, the attention is just part of the anything-goes Portland he's grown to love. But he's still looking for that special someone who will embrace all of him—including his gender fluidity. So he takes a chance and asks Todd to be his partner in a dance class leading to a fundraiser. When the music starts and he takes Todd in his arms, Kendall is shocked at how good it feels. Turns out taking the lead for once isn't a mistake. In fact, it might be time to take the next step and follow his heart ...



Danced Close is the sixth book in Annabeth Albert's Portland series.  All of the books can be read as a stand alone, but you may see glimses from other couples/characters from the previous books.  I've said it a bunch of times but Annabeth Albert is one of my auto-buy authors.  I love almost everything I've read of hers and I've read over a dozen of her romances.  She blends romance and steamy scenes so well.

I really loved this one!  This was probably my favorite in the whole series. I loved both of the MCs. Kendall identifies himself as a genderqueer gay man and is used to people treating him almost like a sideshow or being embarrassed of him.  His last relationship ended because his ex didn't understand why Kendall felt he needed to dress and act the way he does, so it's left him a bit sour on the idea of relationships. Todd comes with a lot of baggage and feels as if he's not worthy of a real relationship because he's a recovering addict, lived on the streets at one time, and is HIV positive.  These two were such opposites, but they worked so well together.  Todd accepted Kendall just the way he was and I loved it.

The whole "I feel like I'm not good enough for the other person" thing was a bit cliche, I have to admit.  Todd felt like Kendall wouldn't want to be with him because of his baggage, and Kendall thought Todd would eventually decide that he couldn't be with a man that liked to wear makeup/heels.  It didn't stretch out too long which was nice tho.  I think this would have been a five star if it was a bit longer and had a little more to it.  It was great for a quick fix of romance tho!

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

2 comments:

  1. I am tired of the 'you deserve better than me' pity parties! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so overused! I think I eyeroll every time I read a book and they start going that way. lol! Thanks Samantha!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground