Review: Geekerella by Ashley Poston

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Title: Geekerella
Author: Ashely Poston
Genre: YA Romance, Fairytale Retelling
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: April 4th 2017

Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again?

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom.



Elle's father was a huge Starfield fan and passed on his love of the show on to Elle.  When Elle's father passes away, she is stuck living with her cruel stepmother and her twin daughters.  Her stepmother pushes her daughters to strive for the "perfect image".  Meanwhile, she has Ella making them breakfast every morning, cleaning the house, and basically being her slave for whatever she wants.  Ella has dreams to attend ExcelsiCon, the convention her dad founded, and entering the cosplay contest.  Ella can't stand that they are casting teen heartthrob, Darien Freeman, in the role of Carmindor, her favorite character.  She angrily posts about it on her blog, unknowing that it would go viral and be read by none other than Darien Freeman.  Darien tries to call and back out of attending the ExcelsiCon event, but ends up reaching Ella's phone instead.  They continue texting, unknowing who the other really is.

I thought this one was super sweet.  Maybe a little too sweet at times, but definitely what I needed after reading a super angsty book right before this one.  There are a lot of fairytale retellings out right now, but I thought this was a great modern retelling.  There were a few really cheesy parts, but overall I really enjoyed it.  I loved the banter and dorkiness between Elle and Darien through text messaging.  

Elle never had too many friends growing up, so I loved when her and Sage became friends.  Sage is an awesome secondary character.  I honestly think she made the story for me.  She always had Elle's back and didn't make any excuses for the way she was.  

I enjoyed Darien's character a lot too.  He was afraid to let anyone close to him after being burned by a friendship before.  He is also unfairly judged by a lot of people, Elle included, because they see him as nothing but a teen heartthrob when he's really just as much of a superfan of Starfield as everyone else.  Both Elle and Darien did frustrate me with the way they let people walk all over them though.  Darien with his dad/manager, and Elle with her stepmother and sister.  I was glad when I finally got to "see" them both stick up for themselves a little more.

If you are looking for a really sweet, Cinderella retelling then this may be the book for you, especially if you have a dorky side too.  This one was a touch too sweet/cheesy for me but the characters won me out in the end and I ended up enjoying it a lot.

*I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

8 comments:

  1. this sounds like a really cute read!!!! Great review and thanks for sharing :)!
    Kariny @kariny's boox frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you get to check it out. It was really cute...even if was a little cheesy sometimes. lol

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many wonderful things on this one. I love books with text messaging and I am all about dorky. I can do super sweet and cheesy if in the mood. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love when books have letters/texts/emails involved too. Thanks Grace!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one, Julie. I just spotted it on Amazon (yesterday) and will confess, I ordered it. The words "Cinderella" and "fangirl" meant this was book catnip for me. Hope I enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I hope you end up loving it too! I love nerdy romances and fairytale retellings so this one was perfect for me. Thanks Rissi!

      Delete
  4. I need this book immediately! It's right up my alley!!!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Yes! I think you would really love this one too! It's so cute!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground