Review: At First Blush by Beth Ellyn Summer

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Title: At First Blush
Author: Beth Ellyn Summer
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Publisher: Bloomsbury Spark
Publication Date: April 4th 2017

 Who would have thought that a teenager could have a successful career creating makeup tutorial videos on YouTube? For Lacey Robbins, this dream has been her reality. An up-and-coming YouTuber, she has thousands of fans and can't wait for the day when her subscriber count reaches the one million mark. And when she is offered a high school internship at On Trend Magazine, she figures that this could be the make it or break it moment.

But sometimes your dream job isn't all that it seems. Her editor is only interested in promoting junk products, and her boss in the Hair and Makeup department introduces her to the larger world of makeup artistry, making her wonder if making tutorials online is all she is meant to do. To top it all off, when the magazine's feature subject , musician Tyler Lance, turns his broodingly handsome smile her way, falling for him could mean losing her fans, forcing her to make a decision: her YouTube life or her real life?



Lacey is a beauty vlogger of LaceyBlushes on Youtube and gets chosen as an intern for On Trend Magazine for the summer, along with two other vloggers with different niches.  She is hoping that if she does well she can gain more followers and eventually get a contract with Glasscube, so she can get sponsors and a production staff.  She is hoping the client they will be working with is a woman that loves makeup, but they end up with a rockstar who is trying to make his comeback after leaving his band.  Tyler comes off as standoffish and arrogant in their first meeting but as time goes on she starts seeing a different side.  He makes his interest known but she is trying to stay career-focused, even if the internship isn't going as well as she had hoped.  She gets her first sponsorship and is really torn about promoting a product that she really hates, and her fans on Youtube start to turn on her.  She starts to wonder if this is really what she wants for her future.

I had a really hard time with this one, if I'm being honest.  I was initially really excited because I follow quite a few vloggers on Youtube and thought this was a really fun and different idea.  I didn't end up connecting with any of the character or even like them all that much.  I thought Lacey was really confusing.  She absolutely loves her beauty vlog and makes it a point to say early on that while some people have their "fame personas", they also have the "real life" personas, whereas she IS LaceyBlushes.....  But then later says that maybe she isn't.  Then she starts to hate vlogging...?  I know people can change their mind, but that seemed a little crazy to be super obsessed with something and then dislike it in the end.  I also couldn't stand how she just wouldn't stand up for herself at all.  I will say that Lacey's character did grow as the story went on, and I was happy she found a way to make herself happy in the end.

The romance felt a little insta-lovey to me on Tyler's part.  I didn't really feel the chemistry between the two of them as a couple. It felt really forced.  Tyler was constantly the one expressing how he felt and pursuing her and she didn't really give anything back.  I'm honestly not sure why he would have kept trying.  I had moments when I really liked Tyler a lot and then others where I wanted to hit him because he was so selfish.

I didn't hate this one, but I didn't love it as much as I had hoped either.  This was a "middle of the road" read for me.  It is a clean romance, so if there are younger readers to consider then I don't think this would be a bad one.  There is a scene where Tyler is drunk though.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

6 comments:

  1. That sucks that it wasn't all you hoped it would be, considering how cute the cover is! Ugh, but insta-love, no thanks lol!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie, the cover is what made me instantly request this one. haha! It's so cute! It sounded like something I would really love too, but I just can't do insta-love. Blah.. Thanks, Sara!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, what a bummer. I am also just read a Ya with a book about a beauty blogger so I was kinda hoping to find another fun one. This definitely... does not seem like it. Lol.

    No chemistry? Instalove? Ugh. I am not going to waste my time on that!

    Thanks for the review. Saved me some time and a request, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Sorry I ruined it for you! You may enjoy it more than I did, but I'm not sure. I just couldn't get into this one. I expected to love it!

      Delete
  3. Oh man! I have an eARC of this book from Netgalley, and it sucks that it was only a mediocre book! Guess I'll wait to read it until I just need something that's not intense and dive in!

    Thanks for the lovely review!

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you end up enjoying it a little more than I did when you get around to reading it. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it as much as I had hoped.

      Thanks Aditi!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground