Review: Back Piece by L.A. Witt

Monday, April 24, 2017

Title: Back Piece
Author: L.A. Witt
Series: Skin Deep Inc., #1
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: Swerve
Publication Date: April 25th 2017

 Colin Spencer is a tattoo artist with a past he’d prefer to keep a secret. Actually, he has a few secrets that he’d rather people didn’t know about, which is why Colin doesn’t do commitment. But when a shy sailor approaches him at the gym, Colin finds this guy pushing all his buttons.

Growing up in a conservative family, then escaping with the Navy, Daniel Moore is an unsure virgin who feels like he can’t share his true self with anyone. Seeing Colin—and his tattoos—at the gym are the sign Daniel needs to finally get those tattoos he’s always wanted, and maybe try his hand at flirting.

As Colin and Daniel spend more time together, their awkward hesitations turn into a deep passion neither expected. But with both men harboring secrets, will their relationship be able to survive their insecurities and become something beautiful?

Back Piece is a sexy, emotional journey of two people learning to love and finding acceptance for who they really are.



Daniel and Colin first meet at the gym while they are both trying (and failing) to subtly check each other out.  Daniel is in the Navy, really shy, and happens to be a virgin.  Colin is out and owns a tattoo shop down the street from the gym.  Daniel gets up the courage to ask about the tattoos he sees covering Colin's arms and neck, and Colin invites him back to his shop to check out his work and talk about Daniel getting his first tattoo.  They set up an appointment, and end up having dinner afterwards, which leads to other things.  After an initial mini panic, Daniel admits to Colin that he is a virgin and they decide to have a friends-with-benefits relationship because Colin doesn't "do" relationships anymore after being burned by his ex.  Everything is going well in the bedroom, but Colin has a few secrets and inner demons, and so does Daniel.

I really liked both of the MCs.  I thought Colin was really sweet and understanding with Daniel.  He has own issues that he has to focus on too and tries not to worry Daniel with him when he knows Daniel is already stressed about his own things.  Daniel was adorably awkward and shy at first but gains a little more self esteem as the story goes on.  These two had A TON of chemistry together.  The intimate scenes between them were sizzling, and plentiful.  At times I thought maybe a little bit too many (which is weird for me!).  I wanted to see a little more emotion between the two of them.  I think this one would have done a bit better with an epilogue as well.  When we leave these two, I would say we have a HFN ending and not everything felt wrapped up.

I would have liked to see more from what happens in Daniel's family after he comes out.  I realize that it may not have been a "happy" turn out, but I wanted to see what became of it, and maybe see him talking to his sister.  I also would have like to know more about how things would work between them once Daniel had to be sent out and away for months.  These things were just kind of glossed over a bit.

Even with the issues that I had with this one, I still ended up enjoying it and will be reading the next one in the series.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

2 comments:

  1. Aww Daniel sounds like a cutie! I love those adorably awkward characters. Colin sounds great. I'm always craving for more emotional connections between characters too, so I feel you. It still sounds like a great book though!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel is so super cute! I'm a huge fan of adorable awkward characters too. lol! I really enjoyed Colin a lot too. I really enjoyed this one, but just wanted a little more from them. Thanks Nick!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground