Review: Between Ghosts by Garrett Leigh

Friday, April 7, 2017

Title: Between Ghosts
Author: Garrett Leigh
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: March 14th 2016

In 2003, journalist Connor Regan marched through London to add his voice to a million others, decrying the imminent invasion of Iraq. Eight months later, his brother, James, was killed in action in Mosul.

Three years on, Connor finds himself bound for Iraq to embed with an elite SAS team. He sets his boots on the ground looking for closure and solace—anything to ease the pain of his brother’s death. Instead he finds Sergeant Nathan Thompson.

Nat Thompson is a veteran commander, hardened by years of combat and haunted by the loss of his best friend. Being lumbered with a civilian is a hassle Nat doesn’t need, and he vows to do nothing more than keep the hapless hack from harm’s way.

But Connor proves far from hapless, and too compelling to ignore for long. He walks straight through the steel wall Nat’s built around his heart, and when their mission puts him in mortal danger, Nat must lay old ghosts to rest and fight to the death for the only man he’s ever truly loved.



Connor is a journalist who has been an anti-war protester in the past. After his soldier brother dies, Connor feels that he never really knew James and he fears James didn't know how much he loved and respected him. Trying to find some peace in regards to his feelings about his brother, Connor finds himself on a mission to Iraq with a SAS team. He's going to do a series of articles showcasing what it is that the soldiers do and how they feel about their jobs.

Nat is the leader of that team and he's been in war zones for years. He's lost his best friend who was a member of his team, so he says he is dead inside and feels nothing anymore. But the truth is he still feels things very deeply, and blames himself for his friend's death.  He's not happy about being stuck with a journalist, but he's quickly drawn to Connor and starts opening up and showing his emotional side that he thought was long gone.

The two MCs were attracted to each other from the moment they saw each other, and the chemistry was unmistakable. Nat fully expected to have to babysit Connor, and instead, Connor was an intelligent, resourceful, and insightful man who could hold his own with Nat's team.  Between Ghosts is light on the steamy moments but I didn't mind that, which is something I wouldn't usually say (what can I say?! I love the steamy scenes!). Connor and Nat are in the middle of a war zone, so their chances for alone time are rare, and a lot of the focus is on the military operations. 

I really liked the way the author handled Nat's bi-sexuality.  It was never a big deal.  I've read so many mm romances when it's made into a huge deal or an automatic deal breaker for the gay main character, and it wasn't at all in this one.  There was also no bashing either sex or acting like one was better than the other either.  It was very refreshing!

While I thought that the ending was a little predictable, I still enjoyed the ride. The HEA was well-deserved and left me wanting more!  I will definitely be reading more from this author asap!

* I received a copy of this title via Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

6 comments:

  1. Huh this sounds really interesting in terms of the setting and the set up of it. I am ok with predictable if done well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! I'm the same way, as long as it's done well I don't mind predictable so much

      Delete
  2. This sounds really, really good, Julie! And I love it when characters just are who they are, not place-holders for stereotypes.
    Both the story and the characters seem to be compelling, so I'm adding this to my TBR!
    Great review!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Exactly! I hope you love this one if you get a chance to read it. Thanks, Lexxie!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting read and I'd never even heard of it. I definitely need to get a hold of a copy. I love the fact that a bi character is handled well and it doesn't cause conflict in the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are too many times in romances when the bi-sexuality factor ends up being a huge problem and that's always frustrating to me. I hope you get a chance to check it out and really enjoy it!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground