Things That Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

Tuesday, April 18, 2017


I am linking up today at The Broke and the Bookish's link up "Top Ten Tuesday".  They have a different topic every week and it's a lot of fun to meet some new bloggers and find a bunch of new books to add to my list!  This week's topic is: Top Ten Things That Make Me Instantly Want to Read A Book.

Okay, so I actually came up with 14 things this week, because we all know that I have a probably with saying no to the shiny new books, and this is part of the reason why:  I love so many different kinds of books!


Book Cover
Yeah, this makes me sounds really superficial, but I loved a great cover!  I spend way too much time playing around on Goodreads just looking at book covers.  It's the first thing that catches my eye.  I've been burned quite a few times by a pretty cover tho, lol!

Fairy Tale Retelling
I know everyone is getting super tired of reading them by now but I'm still obsessed.  I can't get enough!
Pirates
Seriously, you mention pirates and I'm automatically on board.  I can't help myself.  I blame Captain Jack Sparrow!

Secret Agent
This is another one that a lot of people are getting sick of but I can't help but love.  Because it involves secret agents, there's usually a good deal of suspense, which I love.  I also love the suspense of waiting to see if/when they are found out.  The missions are really interesting to me.

Geeks/Nerds
I have a huge weak spot for nerdy/geek characters.  They have a tendency to be adorably awkward, and I love it.  Probably because I'm a bit of a nerd myself and also super awkward. lol!  If it's mentions a Comic Con, video gamer, hacker, etc. I'm all about it.
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Geekerella by Ashley Poston
Meg & Linus by Hanna Nowinski
Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde

Main character with anxiety
I have a soft spot for these types of books, because I suffer from anxiety so reading about another person/character going through it sometimes makes me feel more normal...if that makes any sense at all.  lol  It also makes it really easy for me to relate to the character.

Magic
I mean, who can say no to that?! lol!  Magic of any kind always intrigues me.  It's the little kid in me, I guess.  Whether it's a magical power or more like an ability, I usually will want to read it.

Fake Relationships
This one has been done so many times but I still find myself unable to say no to them.  They are so predictable, but I think that's why part of me loves them so much.  I know it will have a happy ending, and I crave those happy endings sometimes.

Enemies-to-Lovers
I think the reason I love these ones so much is because they almost always have the best banter between the two main characters.  I love the tension, and the witty retorts.  Especially when the chemistry starts to kick in and they are trying to fight the attraction. lol!

Friends-to-Lovers
This is another one that I have a soft spot for.  I think it's because that's kind my husband and I's story.  We were friends for a very long time before we ended up together.

Forbidden Romances
Especially the brother/sister's best friend type of romances.  I have no idea why this one appeals to me so much, but it does.  I can't remember ever having a crush on any of my brother's (or sister's) friends but I really love this trope.

Second Chance Romance
Who doesn't love a good grovel?? lol!  I love these ones because they have so much history and buried passion that comes bubbling to the surface.  Whenever I'm in the mood for an angsty read, these are my "go to".
Sports Romance (especially hockey!)
I'm a big sports nut.  I love hockey and football, so compare that with my love for romances and I'm making grabby hands. lol!  The men in these books typically have the alpha guy toughness that I'm looking for too.

Road Trips
I can't help it, I love books that feature road trips.  I think it helps me with my serious case of wander lust.  I get to live vicariously through the characters. lol!  One of my dreams is to rent/buy an RV and travel around the United States.  I want to see everything!



What are some things that make you instantly want to pick up a book?

38 comments:

  1. We share some!! Road trips, enemies to lovers and book covers all made my list. I love all your other kind of romance tropes too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to check out your list and see what ones you love! Road trips are so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Covers are top thing for me. I know it can be seen as snobby, but I love a well designed cover.

    I love the geeky/needy books that have been coming out lately. And introverts are great subject matter, I just loved Fangirl!

    I also love a good romantic magical realism book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, I'm the same way. The first thing that I notice is the cover, and I've read so many not so good books because of it but I still do it! lol

      I'm so glad I'm not the only one with geeky/nerd love! lol

      I've been really into romantic magical books too lately.

      Thanks Crystal!

      Delete
  3. I like magic in books, depending on the actual plot of course. If it has a great cover too, that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a great cover is definitely a bonus. I'm such a sucker for them. Magic is great as long as it doesn't come out of nowhere. I read a book once that had no mention of magic, but then at the end someone fixes everything with a spell....lame. lol

      Delete
  4. A great cover is #1 on my list, as well! I mean, it's literally the first thing you see, so it can either draw me in or turn me off to a book right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes, exactly! I have read fantastic books with "meh" covers, and horrible books with beautiful covers. I still can't help my love for the pretty covers tho. lol

      Delete
  5. I didn't put down road trips but I did put down travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Road trips and travel stories are perfect for when I have a case of the wanderlust (which is all the time! lol) Some places that I would love to see but I may never get to, I can read about and feel like I was there too!

      Delete
  6. Ooh pirates! Need more pirates. Geeks/ nerds too- I loved both Fangirl and Queens of Geek. And I totally fall for a good cover, so yeah definitely that one also. Anxiety is showing up in a lot of books too and I think that's a great thing.

    I haven't read many road trip books but that would be a fun topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love so many different topics that it's no wonder why I have sooo many books waiting on my Kindle and my book shelves for me. lol! Fangirl and Queens of Geek were two of my favorites!

      Delete
  7. Oh, so many good ones that I hadn't even thought of yet! I LOVE anything with pirates, nerdy characters, characters with anxiety and forbidden romances too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved anything with pirates...and then Pirates of the Caribbean came along with Captain Jack Sparrow, and now I'm obsessed! lol. Nerdy and anxious characters are some of my absolute favorites!

      Delete
  8. Great list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/top-ten-tuesday-103/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book covers - yes, yes, yes! I have to have a good cover and then I'll pick it up even if the story doesn't sound interesting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha me too! I've been burned by a pretty cover many times. lol! It's my own fault, I guess.

      Delete
  10. I love this list! There's several on here that I've been neglecting - fair tale romances, road trips, and sports romances that I'm hoping to read more of very soon. I love the enemies to more, 2nd chance, friends to lovers, and fake relationships! A good cover gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read more of the ones that you haven't gotten a chance to lately! I just finished Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh, which is a Mulan retelling, and absolutely loved it. I definitely recommend that one. I think it releases mid-May.

      Delete
  11. This list is A+ and I agree with so many of your choices! Fairytale retellings and enemies-to-lovers especially! (I also see some of my fave books here... ACOTAR and Carry On and Geekerella and Fangirl and Scarlet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much! I ended up loving Scarlet even more than Cinder so I can't wait to keep going with that series. I have Cress and Winter, I just haven't made time to pick them up yet! lol.

      Delete
  12. Yes to all of these except road trips, they just bore me. But I love forbidden romances and friend to lovers and especially geeky characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha that's okay, I'm pretty sure I am going to have a lot of unpopular opinions next week for my Things That Make Me NOT Want to Read a Book. lol! I saw a few of my "no's" on people's favorite lists today. And YES, to those geeky characters! I can't get enough of them!

      Delete
  13. Totally agree with most of these, except for the sports one haha! Fairytales and geeks and fake relationships are my jam!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, I know sports aren't really everyone's thing. I had an older brother and a ton of boy cousins, so that's probably why. I've always been a bit of a tomboy/outdoorsy girl. LOVE those geeks and fairytales! lol I can't get enough of them!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous list and I'm right there with you on most of them, especially the geeks/nerds and the fairytale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! I'm so surprised at all the geek love today! I had no idea that I wasn't the only one. lol! I can't get enough of them

      Delete
  15. It is hard to resist a secret agent story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! They are so action packed, and I love to try to guess what's going to happen.

      Delete
  16. Oh another good list!!! I am loving the things you all came up with for this TTT! I am a cover whore too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks so much! I think everyone who loves to read is a bit of a cover whore at times! We all gravitate towards the pretty things. lol

      Delete
  17. Hi! I love geeks and sports romances, too! :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy for geek and sports romances! lol! They are both usually at different ends of the spectrum but I love them both. lol!

      Delete
  18. Geek characters! I love meeting geeky/nerdy characters because I relate to them - LOVE Geek Girl. (Fangirl nerd here! :D)

    Also, yay for fairy tales. Something I don't read enough of.

    Pirates in books is something that interests me, but I don't seem to "see" them much in books.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Michelle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really relate to the geeky characters too. I've always been a little awkward. lol

      I've been reading a bunch of fairytale retellings this year and I love them! I can't get enough

      I haven't read too many pirate books but I've seen them becoming a little more popular lately and I have quite a few on my TBR

      Thanks, Rissi!

      Delete
  19. I agree with so many of these things! Pretty covers, retellings, magic, enemies to lovers AAAHHH!! So many good things in this list. SOoooooooo many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks so much! I tried to get all of my absolute favorites on the list...without out going too far overboard. lol!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground