Things That Make Me NOT Want To Read A Book

Tuesday, April 25, 2017


I am linking up today at The Broke and the Bookish's link up "Top Ten Tuesday".  They have a different topic every week and it's a lot of fun to meet some new bloggers and find a bunch of new books to add to my list!  This week's topic is: Top Ten Things That Make Me NOT Want to Read A Book.  I thought of 12 different types of things that normally make me say no when trying to find a book to read.


Politics
I can't stand anything to do with politics.  It all makes me crazy.  That's all there's been all over the internet.  I like to read so I can escape, and reading a book like that would defeat the purpose, I think

Overly preachy Christian books
I'm not a very religious person so I tend to avoid books that focus largely on that.  Just a personal preference, I don't mean to offend!

Descriptive rape/sexual assault scenes
This one is also a big "no" for me.  If it's just mentioned it the book that it happened previously (without being overly descriptive) then I can usually muscle through, but when it's something in the present and you have to read through those things that happen, I can't do it.

Romances that have cheating
This is a big "no" for me.  I instantly lose all respect for that character and get really mad.  At that point in the book I usually just quit because the other character always forgives easily and takes them back and it annoys me.  That's one of the worst things you can do to a person, so it's hard to believe that that person really loves the other one at that point.  Just my opinion.

Love triangles
They drive  me crazy.  It seems to be a more recurrent theme in young adult books.  I try to avoid them if I can but sometimes I get sucked in anyway.  The only time I don't mind love triangles too much is when it's pretty obvious who they are going to end up with.

Insta-love
Maybe it's because I don't really believe in love at first sight, but I can't get into these types of romances.  I believe in lust at first sight but now love.  You don't even know that person yet!  They always tend to have really stalkerish behavior in these ones too. lol!  I end up feeling like the story is rushed, because half of the fun is "watching" them fall in love.

Post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction
haha!  I know, this one definitely puts me into the unpopular opinion category. lol!  This is a HUGE favorite of everyone now, but I'm just not really into it.

Drug cartels/Mafia
I'm not even sure what it is about this category that turns me off, but I never find myself picking up these types of books.  The only times I have is if it's from an author that I already know and love.

Bikers/MC Romances
I think I kind of ruined this one for myself.  I read A LOT of these and now I think I'm just burned out on the idea.  More and more of them started to have rape and cheating too so I think that's part of what turned me off.

Finding love after losing your soul mate
Okay, this one sounds really mean and heartless, but hear me out!  I can't get into these types of romances because I feel like they are constantly throwing the deceased lover in our face, and they constantly compare the new person with the old one and that rubs me the wrong way. 

Surprise pregnancy
Ugghh this one annoys me.  I just feel like it's way over done, and it takes away from the romance/relationship a bit.  Are they staying just because of the baby or because they really love each other??

Step-sibling romances
Seriously, why is this even a thing??  I realize they aren't really related by blood but it still really weirds me out.  I definitely couldn't think of my step-brothers that way.  To me, they are just my brothers.  I've never looked at them like they weren't.



If you enjoyed this post, check out my list of Things That Make Me Instantly Want to Read A Book that I posted last week!



What are some things that make you not want to read a book?
Do you agree/disagree with some of the ones on my list?


37 comments:

  1. I love this and I need to do a similar post too. I've grown so tired of love triangles. I don't know why they are so popular in YA. They make reading so stressful for me.
    And ugh. Any kind of cheating just pisses me off. Haha omg step-sibling romances. I've only read one that I liked by Penelope Douglas, but why is this such a popular trend, especially in NA? It's ridiculous and makes me icky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should do a post like this. I would love to check it out! Love triangles definitely aren't my thing. They are super stressful! lol. Cheating really pisses me off too. I can't count how many times I've tossed my Kindle across the room because I was so mad when it happened. lol. Poor Kindle. Yeah, the step-sibling romances really creep me out too. haha! Thanks Nick!

      Delete
  2. Ugh the mafia ones are usually so cheesy. The few I have picked up it is because I didn't realize that was the type of book they were! Surprise pregnancies can be super annoying too. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I don't like very many mafia ones. I could probably count on one hand how many times it's worked for me. UGGHH, surprise pregnancies. They are in sooo many romances now. Thanks Grace!

      Delete
  3. I agree with a few of these. I hate instaluv and love triangles with a vengeance and these tropes turned me off YA fiction in general. I don't like preachy religious books or ones about drug cartels and gansters. They just don't interest me. I read a lot of prepper books which are political in tone a lot of the time but I don't like it when they go too far. I'm also not keen on an established couple in my books having cheating brought in. I don't read romance but I hate this in my UF books! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read a lot of romances so insta-love, cheating, and love triangles tend to pop up here and there and it makes me crazy. I don't mind if politics is mentioned here or there in a story but if it's focused solely on that, I will lose interest pretty quickly.

      Delete
  4. I tend to avoid Christian fiction, as well. I'm just not a religious person, so I really can't relate to the characters. I also can't stand insta-love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few Christian romances that I've read that weren't too over the top so I didn't mind them too much, but I typically try to steer clear of those ones. Insta-love is just so cheesy and unbelievable. Thanks Angela!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I just read a book by one of my new favorite authors and the romance was between two ex-step siblings (step -paremts divorced). I know it was 15 years later, but EWWW! that's almost as bad as adopted siblings! True they aren't biologically-related, but they were raised as siblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! So glad I'm not the only one that's a little weirded out by it. lol! I realize that they aren't related by blood but it still seems weird.

      Delete
  6. Insta love and love triangles are so hard to deal with. I admit there's a few books that I end up liking with these, but they have to come highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insta-love ones just seem really cheesy and unbelievable to me. I've read a few love triangles that didn't drive me too crazy. I still try to avoid them if I can. lol. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Step-siblings and half-siblings -- ick (although I happen to know some step-siblings who are married to each other). I'm also not into politics, so I avoid that topic in both non-fiction and fiction.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is a hint of politics and it's not the main focal point then I'm usually okay but I just can't stand reading about it. lol!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I agree with almost all of your choices, especially the politics and love triangles. Both bore me to death. Have a nice week!
    Laura :)
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politics either makes me mad or makes me want to fall asleep. lol! Thanks so much Laura!

      Delete
  9. I'm right there with you on the overly preachy Christian books. Great list. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katie! I don't mind a little mention here or there but when they get overly preachy I can't do it.

      Delete
  10. Love triangles and instalove are two of my no-no's, although those darned triangles are almost impossible to get away from in YA lol. Not a fan of drug/ gang stories either, too real world- ish I guess. Step- sibling romances- yeah same. Why even??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangles do seem like they are everywhere lately! lol! Yeah, I think the real world-ish situations are too much for me. I like to read to escape. And YES! Why (with the step siblings)??? lol!

      Delete
  11. books that have adults painted as evil - mostly in YA - I cannot stand reading those. Like come on.

    Insta-love - hate this with passion

    Triangles - no thanks

    Cheating - still no thanks

    MC - I know SOA made this popular but it's over glamorized and honestly at times makes me roll my eyes. Real bikers would just puke at some of these. I watched SOA and loved it. I read MC romance before and was just meh, it feels like the authors tried too hard.

    preachy Christian books - I'll read a Christian book because some of them have sweet romance and good storylines, but if they have preachyness in it, no thanks. I'm the black sheep in my Catholic family....

    Hidden pregnancy - i absolutely cannot stand when the mother has hid the pregnancy from the father especially for stupid reasons and shows up with the kid years later. Honestly, those romances should just never happen because in RL it be ugly and messy and the parent would prob almost never get together. LOTS of legal action too.

    Surprise pregnancy - yes omg but different reason. I hate when they get caught up in passion have sex and two seconds later the woman is like OMG WE DIDN'T USE A CONDOM... ummm...... really? really? and then boom, surprise she is pregnnat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugghh, yes the "evil" adults thing seems to be a big theme in YA books. I would love to see more supportive parents in YA

      I've never actually watched SOA. I think I may check it out one of these days since it's on Netflix.

      I HATE the hidden pregnancy romances! That is unforgivable. They made a parent miss out on their child life because they were being selfish. I hate that!

      Surprise pregnancy - Exactly!!! Drives me nuts!! lol

      Delete
  12. I love reading lists like this. It's fun and its such a relief to see others have hot buttons about books too. Yes, we are normal to feel that strongly about fiction. LOL

    I share some of these and more to a certain degree and have my own list of ugh, can't read that types. Great list, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that avoids certain themes. lol Thanks Sophia Rose!

      Delete
  13. I enjoy the occasional MC and dystopian novel but I love Mafia books, I love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I know so many people that love all three of those. I've enjoyed a few mafia books but typically they aren't my thing. I think I burnt myself out on MC romances because I read a lot of them all around the same time. lol Dystopian has never really been my thing, not sure why. I like some dystopian movies..

      Delete
  14. Oh gosh I totally agree with the cheating and love triangles! Ugh I hate both those! I have always struggled with 'finding love after the death of a soulmate' because I feel that the new love is always competing with the ghost of the original love. Its such a tough trope to pull off.
    I do love insta-love though. I am SO in the minority there but I just love it! And I totally love a good mafia romance! Have you read the Eagle Elite series by Rachel Van Dyken? Its AWESOME!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, so glad you get the "finding love after losing your soulmate" one. I felt kind of guilty writing that one. I believe that everyone deserves happiness, it's just hard for me to read about someone who is still completely in love with someone else comparing their new love to them.

      lol I know quite a few people that really like insta-love. I like insta-lust types but can't get into insta-love. lol!

      I haven't heard of the Eagle Elite series but I may check it out, thanks!

      Thanks Samantha!

      Delete
  15. Awesome list! I also hate love triangles and reading books about politics!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like so many people agree with the hate on love triangles. lol! Thanks Ronyell!

      Delete
  16. Great list! You definitely have some things I hadn't thought about yet, but I still completely agree with, such as politics, cheating and overly preachy books. And of course instaloce and love triangles are super annoying too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! Thanks so much Lindsey!

      Delete
  17. The only mafia or mob books I like are set during Prohibition - not now though.

    Check out my TTT and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple that I enjoyed but it's not something that interests me too much, I guess.

      Delete
  18. I can't with Mafia or Biker books for whatever reason. And NO with any type of incest. I just read The Thousandth Floor a few months ago, and was quite grossed out with the adoptive brother/sister romance.

    And a BIG GIANT NO to politics. I am so sick of people pushing their agenda in my face and if I feel like an author is slipping it in-- or if they're outright doing it in a book, I'll DNF it in a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read The Thousandth Floor, but I think I will skip that one if I ever come across it. lol!

      YES!!! Exactly (to the feelings on politics)!

      Delete
  19. Ugh I loathe instalove!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/top-ten-tuesday-104/

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground