Review: Cask Strength by Layla Reyne

Monday, May 1, 2017

Title: Cask Strength
Author: Layla Reyne
Series: Agents Irish and Whiskey, #2
Genre: MM Romance, Suspense
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: May 1st 2017


 Professionally, the FBI team of Aidan "Irish" Talley and Jameson "Whiskey" Walker is as good as it gets, closing cases faster than any team at the Bureau. Personally, it’s a different story. Aidan’s feelings for Jamie scare the hell out of him: he won’t risk losing another love no matter how heart-tripping the intimacy between them. And loss is a grim reality with the terrorist Renaud still on their trail, leaving a pile of bodies in his wake.

Going undercover on a new case gets them out of town and off the killer's radar. They're assigned to investigate an identity theft ring involving a college basketball team in Jamie's home state, where Jamie's past makes him perfect for the role of coach. But returning to the court brings more than old memories.

As secrets and shocking betrayals abound, none may be more dangerous than the one Jamie’s been keeping: a secret about the death of Aidan’s husband that could blow his partner's world apart and destroy forever the fragile bonds of trust and love building between them.




 Cask Strength is the second book in the "Agents Irish and Whiskey" series. I would not recommend reading it as a standalone, as a lot of the plot from the first book is continued into this one and you would probably be lost. As with the first book, both agents are working on a new case together, while Jamie also works on the case that ended with Aidan losing his husband and teammate. 

I ended up reading this ARC super early because I couldn't handle waiting to see what happened after the cliffhanger from the first book. And we have another cliffhanger ending... For some reason I thought this was a duology. I'm not sure why. So I ended up being a little bummed when we still don't have some big things resolved.

I thought the storyline was a little harder to follow this time around. I had a hard time keeping some of the characters straight between the two cases and it just felt a little messier to me. I didn't really care for the almost love triangle that popped up in this one, even though I sort of saw it coming when I saw that Jamie was going back to his home state. But that's more of a personal preference, I'm not a love triangle fan. I also really hated that Aidan was dating other guys in the beginning because he was trying to keep things casual with Jamie, so he didn't get too attached. It bothered me because in the first book, he felt so guilty feeling the way he did about Jamie after losing his husband but now he's dating multiple men?? Did I miss something?? I hated having it constantly thrown in our faces too. 

I DID love the chemistry between the two of them. There were quite a few steamy scenes, even with Aidan being an idiot. (sorry, had to get another dig in there). We get to see a couple secondary characters from the first book as well; Mel and Danny. I will definitely be checking out the third book as soon as I can get my hand on it because I am hooked and I need to know what happens! And now I have to wait for the third book... :sulky face:

*I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. *


Find It Here: 


My review of the first book in this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground