Review: Love and Vandalism by Laurie Boyle Crompton

Friday, May 5, 2017

Title: Love and Vandalism
Author: Laurie Boyle Crompton
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: May 1st 2017

Rory has a secret: she’s the vandal who paints graffiti lions all over her small town. If her policeman dad knew, he’d probably disown her. So when Hayes, a former screw-up on the path to recovery, catches her in the act, Rory’s sure she’s busted. Instead, he makes her a deal. If Rory shows him around town, he won’t turn her in. It might be coercion, but at least the boy is hot. 

As they spend more time together, Rory worries she made the wrong choice. Hayes has a way of making her want things she shouldn't want and feel emotions she's tried to bury. Rory's going to have to distance herself from Hayes or confront a secret she can't bring herself to face...




 I've never read anything from this author before, but I wanted to give this one a shot because I love books with artsy main characters, as I'm an artsy girl myself.  I sadly didn't love it as much as I had hoped.  I'm having issues gathering all of my thoughts on this one without giving too much away, so I will make a list.  Everyone likes lists, right?!

What I liked:
I enjoy when books are able to surprise me, and I really didn't see a little twist coming with Rory's story.  It happens fairly early (around 39%) too!  I don't want to say too much and give it away.

Things I didn't like:
Rory.  She was a very unlikeable character from the very being of the story and she never really got any better.  When we first meet her she is smoking a bong and hooking up with a guy she's just met.  She's pretty much a giant mess.

Rory is extremely selfish.  She knows that Hayes is on probation but constantly tries to guilt trip him into help her vandalize an advertisement that she doesn't like.  There's also an occasion that she brings him somewhere when it's obvious there is going to be a conflict and he could get in trouble.

There is little to no character growth.  Rory has a lot of issues and Hayes has suggested that she seek counseling to help herself move past it and she never does.  She also never becomes a character that thinks of anyone but herself.  I wanted her to grow up a little bit.  The girl doesn't think about her actions at all!

The ending was really unrealistic.  I think her dad would/should have handled it differently.  I also highly doubt any dad would be completely okay with their daughter hanging out with someone with Haye's background.  Whether he's getting help or not.

I think this one was just a case of, it's not you it's me.  I didn't absolutely love this one, but that doesn't mean you won't!

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  *

Find It Here: 

6 comments:

  1. Ugh I hate when there is no character growth to an already unlikable character. Sorry this didn't work for you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I was really hoping she was going to change/grow a little bit. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  2. Ehhhh, don't feel too bad! This book doesn't sound great. It sounds like the characters were flat and unlikable - that alone is enough for me to hate a book. It sucks that you were hoping to enjoy this book because it featured an artsy heroine. I'm sorry you didn't like it, Julie!

    Great review! Have a fantastic weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyssa! I really wish I would have liked this one more. It really sounded like something I would like. The characters were so "blah" and frustrating. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you didn't like it as much as you hoped. The synopsis sounded good and had me interested but then you gave the reasons you didn't enjoy it and I knew it wasn't the book for me. I mean, an unlikable MC I can put up with but to have no character growth either? Yeah, I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly! I can put up with an unlikely MC IF they grow as the story continues, but she never really does. And it had some really unbelievable moments that had me rolling my eyes. Thanks, Becky!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground