Review: My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen by David Clawson

Friday, May 12, 2017

Title: My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen
Author: David Clawson
Genre: Young Adult, Retelling, MM Romance
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Publication Date: May 2nd 2017


Chris Bellows is just trying to get through high school and survive being the only stepchild in the social-climbing Fontaine family, whose recently diminished fortune hasn’t dimmed their desire to mingle with Upper East Side society. Chris sometimes feels more like a maid than part of the family. But when Chris’s stepsister Kimberly begins dating golden boy J. J. Kennerly, heir to a political dynasty, everything changes. Because Chris and J. J. fall in love . . . with each other.

With the help of a new friend, Coco Chanel Jones, Chris learns to be comfortable in his own skin, let himself fall in love and be loved, and discovers that maybe he was wrong about his step-family all along. All it takes is one fairy godmother dressed as Diana Ross to change the course of his life.

My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen is a Cinderella retelling for the modern reader. The novel expertly balances issues like sexuality, family and financial troubles, and self-discovery with more lighthearted moments like how one rogue shoe can launch a secret, whirlwind romance and a chance meeting with a drag queen can spark magic and light in a once dark reality.



Chris is a 17 year old that lost his father, and is now still living with his stepmother, stepsister, and stepbrother.  After the passing of his father the family suffered financially, and Chris stepped in to do the chores and do practically everything for them.  On the night of the Ball he helps each family member get ready, but he doesn't get to go himself because they couldn't spare the money to get him anything to wear.  His stepmother exhausted all of her money buying Kimberly an expensive Vera Wang dress, with hopes that she'll catch the eye of J.J. Kennerly.  J.J. comes from a wealthy family and she sees him as a way to get their family back to their previous status.  As Chris watches them leave for the night, he meets Coco and she finds a way to get him into the ball with borrowed clothing.  While at the ball Chris and J.J. meet and share a moment, until Chris sees his sister and rushes out before she sees him.  J.J. wants to see Chris again so he comes up with a plan to fake date his stepsister.

I immediately jumped at the idea of reviewing a fairytale retelling of Cinderella, but retold as a MM romance.  Also, that title hooked me.  This one had so much potential but ended up falling a bit short for me.

I absolutely loved the "fairy godmother", Duane aka Coco Chanel Jones.  There were quite a few laugh out loud moments when Chris first meets her.  Coco/Duane added a lot of fun and humor to the story.

I had a lot of issues getting into this one because I couldn't root for Chris and J.J.'s relationship at all.  J.J. continues to "fake date" Kimberly while meeting up with Chris in secret, and that rubbed me the wrong way.  He continued the relationship for way too long and it just felt cruel.  When Chris finally can't handle being a kept secret and potentially hurting Kimberly anymore, they break things off....but J.J. doesn't break things off with Kimberly!  He could pretend to be straight with any other girl in the world but decides to keep things going with Kimberly right in front of Chris' face?  That made my stomach turn.  Especially given the lengths he is prepared to go to pretend to be straight.

We end up with a HFN type of ending that is very open-ended.  We don't know what's going to happen with J.J's political career, Chris' relationship with his family, how J.J's family reacted, or even where their relationship goes from there.  I would have liked a little more resolution in all of those areas.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

12 comments:

  1. Ugh I would have been frustrated with the fake dating going on for so long. But the title of this book is hilarious and totally would have sucked me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is what ended up sucking me in too! lol! I'm bummed that I didn't end up enjoying it more.

      Delete
  2. It has such a cool premise - making it a fairytale retelling with an m/m romance. I don't think I'd like JJ at all though - the way he treats both Kimberely and Chris. Thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I just couldn't root for them because I didn't like JJ at all. Bummer! This was a case of how NOT to do a fake relationship romance. lol. Thanks Lauren!

      Delete
  3. I almost went to click for this one but glad I didn't. I think I would have a lot for the same issues as you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this one just wasn't for me at all. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, the title and the blurb are amazing why did it have to pull the fake relationship trope? Such a waste of a good idea, hope the next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title of this one is what really reeled me in, and I REALLY love retellings so I thought I would love this one. Not so much! I normally enjoy the fake relationship trope but this is a good example of how NOT to do a fake relationship in a romance. lol! Thanks, Kei!

      Delete
  5. Oh damn, what a bummer! I have to admit I was intrigued by the title.. but then I saw the rating... and then I read the review. What a missed opportunity to make a fun, shippy story - and a M/M retelling of a classic fairytale. I am disappointed and I didn't even read the book.

    Definitely not the right way to pull off fake dating.It's not healthy for Kimberly OR for J.J. Ugh. I don't think that's for me.

    Great review -- hopefully there's a better M/M retelling out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, that title really draws you in! I really wanted to love this one, and it had some potential but then they ruined it for me with the gross fake relationship.

      Thanks Jessie!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a creative contemp retelling! And that title is great. But yikes, it does sound like the fake relationship was really cruel to Kimberly :-/ And then hurtful to J.J. I prefer endings that don't go overboard with wrapping things up though, so I wouldn't know without reading whether the ending would be too open-ended for me or not. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the fake relationship was just really cruel and nasty to me. It ended up ruining it for me. I wanted to love this one and it had such potential! I don't want to spoil too much with the ending but I felt as it was really rushed and left way too much open....but that's just me. lol! Thanks, Kristen!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground