Review: Wolf In King's Clothing by Parker Foye

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Title: Wolf in King's Clothing
Author: Parker Foye
Genre: Paranormal, MM Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: May 15th 2017

An exiled shifter. His alpha mate. And a desire so intense it could be the death of them…

York, England, 1912

Kent was a pack outcast. His shifter instincts cruelly muted, he was collared and kept as a stray. Until he was offered his freedom—for something in return. He must rescue Hadrian, an alpha held hostage in the wolf highlands. It's a pleasure for Kent to follow the captive's scent, one so wild and virile it gives him a rush. Though he despises being treated like a mutt called to heel, he'll gladly fall to his knees for an alpha like Hadrian. 

Hadrian has never met anyone like this damaged wolf warrior. His savior who licks the blood from his wounds and who arouses in him feelings he doesn't understand or want to control. But Hadrian suspects that more than desire binds them. It's betrayal. Pawns in an elaborate and feral deceit, they're now caught in the deepening maze of a vengeful shifter world, where navigating the mysteries of the heart could prove just as unpredictable and dangerous as the enemies they face. 



Kent has a magical collar around his neck that dulls some of his instincts, and he is treated like a servant.  He has an opportunity to earn his freedom if he can safely bring back an alpha named Hadrian. Kent went a long period without speaking at all and only uses the bare minimum of words to gets his point across, but when he starts to get to know Hadrian, he makes more of an effort.  Hadrian has the manners of the wealthy and speaks eloquently, so they are just about polar opposites. As they try to figure out who is friend or foe they start to care about each other, and they feel the pull of chemistry.

I'm a big fan of shifter romances.  I swear I end up picking up every one I see. lol!  I have never read anything from Parker Foye before, so I was excited to give this one a try.  I really enjoyed some parts of this one, but I didn't love it quite as much as I had hoped either.

I thought the way the author wove shifters and magic together in this world were really interesting.  I liked the way the "spells" were cast.  I was hoping we would learn a little bit about why Kent was collared in the first place.  Did I miss that somewhere?  I kept waiting to hear what he did to deserve that but I don't remember an explanation ever coming.  I was a little disappointed by that since Kent being collared is such a big part of the story.

With most shifter romances that I read, there is a very clear alpha character and he has the strong qualities about him, but in this one I thought they were both so awkward together.  I actually sort of liked it.  It was different and I thought they were kind of cute because of it.  Don't get me wrong, Kent is definitely an excellent fight, but he had a naivete about him that was cute.

I felt like their story has an unfinished feeling about it.  It feels as if it should be part of a series, but I don't see anything on Goodreads about there being another book.  I would have loved to have seen a more solid HEA between these two, and also see Kent become part of a pack.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

4 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite with shifter romances. I'm super picky about them, and usually they aren't a favorite. I'm interested in this one because they are both awkward though. That just sounds too cute! Glad this was a good read for you, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love awkward love interests too. I always think it's so cute. lol! Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting and I sometimes read shifter books although not in quite sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindy! I started reading shifter romances sometime last year and I've been hooked since. It's a nice change from the usual sometimes. lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground