Review: Back to You by Chris Scully

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Title: Back to You
Author: Chris Scully
Genre: Mystery, MM Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: June 12th, 2017
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon

Journalist Alex Buchanan has come home to the remote British Columbia town he grew up in, but only because his estranged father is dying. For Alex, the homecoming holds a mix of memories, mostly bad. The only bright spot is reconnecting with Benji Morning, the childhood friend he never truly forgot. As boys, the strength of their bond had frightened Alex. But now that he’s confident in his bisexuality, he’s drawn back to quiet, soft-spoken Ben.

Ben isn’t the same boy Alex left behind, though. His life has been overshadowed by the disappearance of his sister two decades earlier, and now a new break in the case threatens to undo the peace he’s worked so hard to attain.

As Alex struggles to repair the relationship with his father before it’s too late, he finds himself caught up in a twenty-year-old mystery, a story he never expected, and a shocking truth that could affect his and Ben’s future together.



Alex and Ben were childhood friends, but when Alex's parents get separated he moves away with promises to keep in touch. Ben stirred up a lot of confusing feelings in Alex so he decides to cut all ties with him because he thinks a clean break would be easier. Twenty years later, Alex returns home because his father is dying and his sister wants him to see him before he passes away. Alex is now a journalist and is planning to write a story of his father and his relationship, which was never good. While Alex is in town, he decides to take on the mystery of Ben's sister Misty's disappearance. She disappeared right before Alex left town and the case is still unsolved. He also tries to reconnect with Ben because he's never forgotten about him after all those years, and he wants to know if there is still a spark between them.

Alex is the narrator of this story, but I would have loved to have had Ben's perspective too. I feel like it would have made for a bit stronger of a story and I would have maybe gotten a little better feel for their relationship. I just didn't end up feeling much of a connection between the two of them. It doesn't help that I really didn't care for Alex either. I really tried but he just seemed all over the place. When he was first getting to the town he admits that he kind of hopes that Ben has been pining for him all these years because he knows he had a crush on him when they were kids. Uhhh...it's been 20 years! Alex has already been married and divorced but hopes that Ben held a flame for him all these years?? I also didn't understand why he pushed everyone in his life away, including his sister and mother. The father made sense because of the alcohol abuse but we never really learned why he didn't really like his sister either. Alex just came off really self-centered, in my opinion.

I did really like Ben's character a lot. He was such a sweetheart. He took a really bad time in his life and turned it into something really beautiful with his art classes and his artwork. I really felt for him.

As for the mystery aspect of the story, I DID guess what happened but I'm one of those annoying people that usually do. lol! I thought the mystery was handled really well, albeit a little slowly. I don't think it was terribly obvious what had happened.

*I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

6 comments:

  1. This book seems interested and it is new to me. I agree, 20 years is a long time to still harbor a crush. But is might be something I check out someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought 20 years was asking a little too much. lol! If you do end up checking it out, I hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. I didn't guess the mystery - but I only randomly do - but I think it was handled well. I assumed Alex kept away from his sister because she was turning into their dad, with the drinking - and being more on his side than anything. Not sure though. Ben really IS a sweetheart though.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those people that no one wants to watch movies with because I almost always guess what's going to happen. lol! I thought the mystery was handled well, even if I kind of guessed what was going on before it was revealed. You have a really good point about his feelings about his sister but I think I just wanted it to be talked about a little more, I guess. I did love Ben!!

      Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  3. I both love guessing the mystery (I always feel smart afterwards) but then I get annoyed as I like to be surprised so it sucks that aspect of the book wasn't better. It also sucks that some aspects of the characters were a bit off with you questioning motivations but it sounds intriguing. I may take a nose I see this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few other really positive reviews for this one, so definitely don't write it off completely if it sounds good to you. I get a strange satisfaction out of guess the mystery too, so it makes it that much more exciting to me when they completely catch me off guard. lol!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground