Review: Follow Me Back by A.V. Geiger

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Title: Follow Me Back
Author: A.V. Geiger
Series: Follow Me Back, #1
Genre: Thriller, YA
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: June 6th 2017

Tessa Hart’s world feels very small. Confined to her bedroom with agoraphobia, her one escape is the online fandom for pop sensation Eric Thorn. When he tweets to his fans, it’s like his speaking directly to her…

Eric Thorn is frightened by his obsessive fans. They take their devotion way too far. It doesn’t help that his PR team keeps posting to encourage their fantasies.

When a fellow pop star is murdered at the hands of a fan, Eric knows he has to do something to shatter his online image fast—like take down one of his top Twitter followers. But Eric’s plan to troll @TessaHeartsEric unexpectedly evolves into an online relationship deeper than either could have imagined. And when the two arrange to meet IRL, what should have made for the world’s best episode of Catfish takes a deadly turn…

Told through tweets, direct messages, and police transcripts.


Follow Me Back is a story about a girl that suffered a traumatic experience, who now suffers with agoraphobia and anxiety, that starts an online friendship with pop star Eric Thorn.  She isn't aware that she is actually talking to Eric himself because Eric is talking to her on a fake account and doesn't want to tell her who he really is.  Eric also has problems with anxiety, and also  paranoia after another pop star is murdered by a crazy fan.  He has a lot of aggression towards his obsessive fans, and when he first talks to Tessa, it's to insult her for being a crazed fan.  After his rant at her, they soon begin to be friends and vent to each other about the issues they are having in their lives.  As time goes on, their feelings become stronger and Eric decides he has to come clean about who he is.

When I was reading this one, I really felt for Tessa.  She was really struggling.  She couldn't even leave her own bedroom without having a panic attack.  She has a Dr. that she talks to that has to come to the house for her appointments.  I did think it was super unrealistic when she was all of a sudden able to leave the house towards the end.  There are so many scenes when she's struggling to even leave her room or walk into the hall, but she manages to leave the house to go to a concert?  Ehh...  probably not.  I suffer from anxiety (though not nearly as bad) so I felt for her situation. 

I wasn't sure how to feel about Eric at first, if I'm being honest.  I thought at first he came off as an entitled brat.  He was always complaining about everything and said so many cruel things about his fans.  I can't even imagine how stressful a celebrity lifestyle would be with the constant crazy fans, and controlling managers.  Once he started to talk more about how anxious and unhappy he was tho, I started to feel for him as well and I warmed up to him.

I really loved that they got to know each other over Twitter messages.  I'm a big sucker for stories that involve letters, texts, messages, etc.  I think they are so much fun and it strengthens their connection and builds anticipation.  I thought this one had it's possibly unbelievable moments, but that shocking twist at the end really made up for it for me.  You think there's going to be a warm fuzzy ending and then all of a sudden the author pulls the rug out from under your feet.  I can't wait to read the second book.  I need to know what happens!

*I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds really good! I don't think I realized what it was about before. I like stories with letters and written correspondence too! Definitely a theme running rampant this year and I'm all for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of that theme as well. This one was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of this book until now, but it does sound strange. For one, without even reading it I'd think that Eric was a bit of a brat.

    Thanks for reviewing, but I'm not sure this one is for me. You have such a lovely reviewing style though.

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aditi! <3

      Yeah, Eric definitely came off as a bit of a jerk at first so I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this one. I was definitely surprised, especially with that ending! lol

      Delete
  3. This one is interesting and I like what the book deals with here, however I'm not too thrilled to hear that she seems to get better miraculously... That's a bit far fetched....

    Can't wait for your update so I can hear about your holiday! I saw some insta pics and it looks like you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhh, her being able to miraculously leave the house made me pretty mad and I took off a star for it because it's so unrealistic

      We did end up having a great time on vacation, thank you so much! It was so nice to get away. I'm already missing the mountains. lol!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground