Review: Hostile Ground by L.A. Witt & Aleksandr Voinov

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Title: Hostile Ground
Authors: L.A. Witt & Aleksandr Voinov
Genre: MM Romance, Suspense
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: May 12th 2014

After the deaths of three undercover cops investigating a drug ring in a seedy strip club in Seattle, Detective Mahir Hussain has been sent to finish the job. He joins the club's security team in the hopes of finding enough evidence to bust the operation before the men in charge find a reason to put him in a shallow grave.

To protect the strippers, only gay men can work the club. Ridley, the cold and intimidating head of security, knows exactly how to test potential new hires-including Mahir. From the minute they meet, Mahir and Ridley engage in a dangerous dance of sex and mind games. Mahir needs to find his evidence before Ridley figures out he's a cop-and before they both grow too close to betray one another.

As the game goes on, Mahir burrows deeper into the operation, where he learns there's much more happening than meets the eye . . . and why every cop who made it this far has been silenced with a bullet.



Mahir Hussain is a cop that is tasked with being sent undercover inside a possible drug dealer's strip club to investigate the deaths of three other undercover cops before him, and to get more more information on the illegal activity going on in the club.  The first day there, he isn't expecting to find himself instantly attracted to a dangerous man who happens to be head of security of the strip club/operation.   Mahir is warned that David Ridley is a stone cold killer and to keep his distance. Mahir has been told that Ridley is second in command to Lombardi and is the one who pulls the trigger on traitors.  Despite the warnings, they both can't help but act on their attraction to one another.  As if Mahir doesn't have enough on his plate, his nephew has run away from home and decided that he's going to stay with him until things calm down at home.  Mahir now has to juggle his attraction to Ridley, worry about his nephew, and he has no idea who he can really trust.

What I liked:
I loved the diversity of the characters. Mahir is a gay, practicing-Muslim character. I've never read a mm romance with a Muslim main character.

If I'm being honest, the I really loved the steamy scenes!  I love the dirty talk and power plays between the two of them.  They had some sizzling chemistry.  There was an added danger element since they didn't trust each other.

I also really loved how gradual the feelings built between the two of them.  At first all they had was a ton of chemistry and some rough sex but then they started having more tender moments, and I loved that.  They both had to worry about pretending to be someone else and it was nice to see them break character sometimes and show their vulnerabilities.

What I didn't like:
There were some pretty unbelievable moments in this one, and some pretty significant plot holes.

I also thought most of the suspense of the story was really predictable.  I like to be at least a little surprised, and I wasn't really at all with this one, so that disappointed me.

I don't want to give too much away with this one, but there is something that happens involving Mahir's nephew that really rubbed me the wrong way.  I didn't like the way that was handled at all, and it felt really unrealistic to me.


I've read a lot of L.A. Witt's books, and I will definitely keep reading just about every book she puts out.  I can't keep myself way. lol!  This one was co-written with Aleksandr Voinov, and I'm new to his books but I may have to check out some of his other books in the future after reading this one.  The beginning part of this story was my favorite, but as the story went on I felt like there were just more and more plot holes and it bothered me.  While I didn't absolutely love this one, I guess I still found it pretty entertaining at times.  It had great potential.

* I received a free copy of this title via Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  *


Find It Here: 

2 comments:

  1. I really like L.A. Witt too, but sorry this one was a bit too plot holey for you! I don't mind the more sexy moments either, unless it seems to way too heavy in that direction and becomes a larger part of the story than anything else.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, I'm a big fan of steamy romances but I need a strong plot line to go along with it. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground