Review: Insight by Santino Hassell

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Title: Insight
Author: Santino Hassell
Series: The Community, #1
Genre: Paranormal MM Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: March 13th 2017

Growing up the outcast in an infamous family of psychics, Nate Black never learned how to control his empath abilities. Then after five years without contact, his estranged twin turns up dead in New York City. The claim of suicide doesn’t ring true, especially when a mysterious vision tells Nate it was murder. Now his long-hated gift is his only tool to investigate. 

Hitching from his tiny Texas town, Nate is picked up by Trent, a gorgeous engineer who thrives on sarcasm and skepticism. The heat that sparks between them is instant and intense, and Nate ends up trusting Trent with his secrets—something he’s never done before. But once they arrive in the city, the secrets multiply when Nate discovers an underground supernatural community, more missing psychics, and frightening information about his own talent.

Nate is left questioning his connection with Trent. Are their feelings real, or are they being propelled by abilities Nate didn’t realize he had? His fear of his power grows, but Nate must overcome it to find his brother’s killer and trust himself with Trent’s heart.



I am a huge fan of the Cyberlove series that Santino Hassell wrote with Megan Erickson, so I have been wanting to check out more of his work.  I'm am so glad that I did after reading this one.  I have a couple minor issues with this one but for the most part I really loved it.  I couldn't put it down, and ended up reading the whole book in one day.  I loved the world that Hassell built in this one and I can't wait to pick up the next one!

Nate is an empath (he can feel other peoples emotions from just one touch) and is the narrator of this story,  and when we first met him things aren't really going well for him.  He has just had his car stolen, he has a crappy job at the liquor store, he's stuck in his small town where everyone seems to hate him, he can't stand most of his family, and he's about to be evicted from his apartment.  One night while at work, he has a powerful vision that he realizes is actually about his twin brother, then finds out days later that his twin brother has killed himself.  He doesn't believe it was suicide, so after a major falling out with his family he decides to head to New York (where his brother ran off to) and get some answers.  Along the way he meet Trent.  I don't want to say too much more about the plot because I don't want to give anything away.

The main focus in Insight is the suspense part of the story, in my opinion.  Like I said before, I had a really hard time putting this one down and ended up having to read it all in one day.  I didn't think the mystery aspect of the story was ever too obvious, and there were a few great twists and turns that keep you guessing.  That being said, while I LOVED the suspense and mystery, I wanted just a little more romance between the two MCs.  They have some steamy moments but I wanted more sweet moments between the two of them.  I really enjoyed the roadtrip where they started to get to know each other but after that things between the two of them took the backseat to the big mystery.  There were a few slow points at a couple parts of the story but I thought it helped build suspense for the end.  I was actually glad for a few of the slower areas because there is a lot of information to take in and a lot of characters to remember.

At the end we are still left with some questions unanswered, so it set itself up well for a second book.  The main characters have what I would consider a HFN type of ending but I have a pretty good feeling we will be seeing a lot more of them in the next book, which looks like it's going to be Holden's story.

*Thank you to Riptide Publishing for providing me with a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too but agree with your few quibbles. I can't wait for book #2 and Holden.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about book two as well...and book 3 because I thought those two characters were really interesting. lol!

      Delete
  2. I saw this series and it has my interest because I love romantic suspense. It's so hard to find the ones with good balance between the elements. You've got me more interested than ever now, Julie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to check it out! I really enjoyed it. I've been loving romantic suspense lately

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground