Review: On Point by Annabeth Albert

Monday, June 5, 2017

Title: On Point
Author: Annabeth Albert
Series: Out of Uniform, #3
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: June 5th 2017

Never fall for your best friend…

Pushing thirty, with his reenlistment looming, decorated navy sniper Maddox Horvat is taking a long look at what he really wants in life. And what he wants is Ben Tovey. It isn’t smart, falling for his best friend and fellow SEAL, but ten years with Ben has forged a bond so intimate Maddox can’t ignore it. He needs Ben by his side forever—heart and soul.

Ben admits he likes what he’s seen—his friend’s full lower lip and the perfect muscles of his ass have proved distracting more than once. But Ben's still reeling from a relationship gone to hell, and he's not about to screw up his friendship with Maddox, too.

Until their next mission throws Ben and Maddox closer together than ever before, with only each other to depend on.

Now, in the lonely, desperate hours awaiting rescue, the real challenge—confronting themselves, their future and their desires—begins. Man to man, friend to friend, lover to lover.



On Point is the third book in Annabeth Albert's "Out of Uniform" series, but they can all be read as standalones.  We see characters/couples from the previous books but you will not be lost if you were to read this story by itself.  This book is a friends-to-lovers type of romance, which happens to be one of my favorite tropes.  I ended up enjoying this one the most out of the series so far, and I've really enjoyed them all.

 On a SEAL mission, things don't go as planned when Ben and Maddox get separated from their team, and they are both injured.  Ben has cracked ribs and a dislocated shoulder, and Maddox has a very bad head injury with a concussion and his leg is broken.  Ben gets them to safety, but the severity of their injuries has Maddox thinking about what he really wants out of life.  He has always had feelings for Ben but has decided to stop waiting for him to "come around" and he's going to try to start dating, he has also decided not to re-up and instead wants to open a bakery.  Ben does not like the idea of Maddox dating and tells Maddox that they should date and they both want to give it a try.  Ben has only been having casual hookups since he got burned by his ex, and he doesn't know how to do "the dating thing" anymore but wants to give it a chance.  

Both characters have to go through their own struggles and neither one of them is perfect.  They are also opposites in a lot of ways.  Ben is the type that loves a good time with no strings, and Maddox is more reserved and yearns for a committed relationship.  Maddox comes from a very conservative, religious family, who stopped talking to him when he came out.  Ben's family is very supportive of his sexuality and only want him to be happy.  I loved Ben's family.  They were such open and loving people and welcomed Maddox when his own parents wouldn't.  Ben lives for the rush of being a SEAL, and being a SEAL isn't Maddox's passion anymore.  He only really joined to try to regain his father's approval.

I enjoyed watching their relationship progress and the struggles that they go through as a couple.  Their was a time towards the end when I wanted to grab Ben and shake some sense into him, but he came through in the end.  I loved that Annabeth Albert included an epilogue for these two.  I feel like the epilogue always strengthen the HEA.  I will definitely be picking up the newest in the series when it comes out!

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 


My Reviews for the first two books in the series:

6 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm glad to hear you loved this one too! I thought it was done really well and Ben's family IS pretty amazing. :) I can't for the fourth!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I end up loving almost everything from Annabeth Albert! She's one of my auto-buy authors. I'm really enjoying this series.

      Thanks, Lauren <3

      Delete
  2. I really need to pick up a book by Annabeth Albert. Everyone always really enjoys them!! Gad you liked this one - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabeth Albert is one of my auto-buy authors for mm romances. I love so many of her books. This series is great and I also really loved her #gaymers series too! So I would recommend either of those! Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting! I like standalone stories that are interconnected somehow, will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my some of my favorites to read too! You really get a good feel for the characters when they have popped up in the other stories, that by the time we get their story we are dying to know more about them. lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground