Review: Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser

Friday, June 9, 2017

Title: Song of the Current
Author: Sarah Tolcser
Series: Song of the Current, #1
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens Books
Publication Date: June 6th 2017

Caroline Oresteia is destined for the river. For generations, her family has been called by the river god, who has guided their wherries on countless voyages throughout the Riverlands. At seventeen, Caro has spent years listening to the water, ready to meet her fate. But the river god hasn’t spoken her name yet—and if he hasn’t by now, there’s a chance he never will.

Caro decides to take her future into her own hands when her father is arrested for refusing to transport a mysterious crate. By agreeing to deliver it in exchange for his release, Caro finds herself caught in a web of politics and lies, with dangerous pirates after the cargo—an arrogant courier with a secret—and without the river god to help her. With so much at stake, Caro must choose between the life she always wanted and the one she never could have imagined for herself.



This is Sarah Tolcser's debut YA novel, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book.  I feel like a lot of the YA titles that I've read recently have been letting me down, but this one didn't disappoint at all.  I couldn't put it down and I ended up reading it all in one sitting.  I NEEDED to know what was going to happen.

Song of the Current has a little bit of everything: adventure, and enemies-to-lovers romance, witty banter, a sea creature, some twists and turns, and PIRATES.  Yeah, I love pirates. lol!  I don't want to give too much away about the plot, so I will leave it at that.

I really enjoyed each of the characters.  They all had their unique personalities.  Caro is a great main character.  I ended up really loving her.  She is tough and sassy and doesn't make any excuses for the way she is.  The male MC of the book comes off as an entitled jerk at first but we learn that looks can be deceiving.  Caro's parents were also really interesting characters.  I loved Fee!  She is a frogperson who is basically Caro's first mate.  She is a person of few words but I still really enjoyed her character.  I can't wait to see more of these characters in the next book.

I loved the budding romance between the two MCs.  They start out as enemies and REALLY get on each other's nerves.  I loved the banter between the two of them.  They were always pushing each other's buttons.  Since this is a young adult books I should mention that there is a "sex scene" in this one but it is more of a fade to black scene and is not overly descriptive.

I took off a star only because I felt as if the last little part of the story had strange pacing and I felt as if things were left up in the air, which it's the first book in the series, so I probably should have expected that.  I thought it ended up feeling a little directionless at the end....if that makes sense?  That being said, I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series because I loved the world and characters that Sarah Tolcset created.  I'm not ready to say goodbye to them yet.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

10 comments:

  1. Gah! You have me so intrigued! I do love adventure, and enemies to lovers, witty banter, twists, & pirates! That's a bit too bad about the ending but I'm glad everything else was pretty awesome! Will have to check this out soon! Awesome review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to check this one out soon! I really did enjoy it a lot! I love YA books with strong female characters. Thanks, Cyn!

      Delete
  2. AH, you had me at the "enemies-to-lovers" romance! That's one trope I can never have enough of, especially if it's done correctly with an emphasis on respect - which I've heard this book does really well. I've heard such good things about this book that it's climbing to the top of my TBR. Really wonderful review. :)

    ~ Aimal @ Bookshelves & Paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'm a huge fan of enemies-to-lovers too! They are some of my favorites! And YES, to the emphasis on respect, which you are right, they've done well with in this one. I hope you get a chance to check this one out. I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I'm literally so excited for this one! I will probably buy it next month since I am currently broke lol
    Enemies to lovers is my favourite trope, and since I am a pirate and I love the water, I can't wait to start this one! Great review :)
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do end up picking this one up. I don't think you will be disappointed, I really enjoyed it a lot. Enemies to lovers is one of my favorites too when it's done right, which I feel it is in this one. Thanks so much, Prabhleen!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this really does sound good. I'm glad it was so unputdownable! :)

    Hate to love is my favourite type of romance so that really excites me. Pirates also are awesome so I need to get this one!

    I'm sorry the ending didn't quite do it for you, but being a series AND a debut at that... I'm very interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to check it out! It was really good!

      Hate to love is one of my favorite romance tropes too. They're so much fun!

      Delete
  5. This is one of those books I didn't pay attention to before bu your review and so many others have convinced me to pick this one up soon! I do love pirates and I love the romance you described. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I hope you do get to check this one out. I ended up surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I dragged my feet on picking it up but now I can't wait until the 2nd one comes out. lol If you get to check this one out, I hope you love it!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground