Review: Strays by Garrett Leigh

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Title: Strays
Author: Garrett Leigh
Series: Urban Soul, #2
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: March 25th 2017

Work, sleep, work, repeat. Nero’s lonely life suits him just fine until his best friend, Cass, asks him to take on a new apprentice—a beautiful young man who’s never set foot in a professional kitchen. Despite his irritation and his lifelong ability to shut the world out, Nero is mesmerised by the vibrant stray, especially when he learns what drove him to seek sanctuary on Nero’s battered old couch.

Lenny Mitchell is living under a cloud of fear. Pursued by a stalker, he has nowhere left to run until Nero offers him a port in a storm—a job at the hottest restaurant in Shepherd's Bush. Kitchen life proves heady and addictive, and it’s not long before he finds himself falling hard and fast for the man who has taken him in.

Fast-forward a month and a neither man can imagine life without the other, but one thing stands in their way: a lifetime of horrors Nero can’t bring himself to share with Lenny. Or can he? For the first time ever, happiness is there for the taking, and Nero must learn to embrace it before fate steps in and rips it away.



Strays is the second book of the Urban Soul series, but each book can be read as a standalone.  I did not read the first book in the series before reading this one and I didn't feel as if I was lost at any time.  It did make me a little curious about the previous couple tho.  There relationship is a M/M/M romance, and all three of them are also in this story as secondary characters.  This is only the second book by Garrett Leigh that I've gotten to read and I hope to read more soon.  I do have to admit that I think I enjoyed the last book of hers just a little more than this one.

Things that I liked:
This story starts being told from Lenny's point of view, but it switches between both main characters.  I like stories that give both MCs perspective because it gives a better idea of what's going on in their heads.

Lenny.  I loved that Lenny was just who he was and that's all there was to it.  He liked bright clothing, eyeliner, pink hair, and glitter but it was never a overly talked about subject.  I feel like a lot of the time, that's made in to a huge deal in MM romance.  I also really loved his personality.

I loved the sweet moments between the two main characters.  Nero is a very closed off person and hides behind his grumpy attitude, but Lenny is able to eventually able to break down his walls.

Things that I didn't love as much:
I thought the story felt really drawn out at times and like there were some slow moments.  It probably could have ended a couple times before the true end.

I found it really hard to connect to Nero.  Normally I really love the broody, gruff types but he was really hard to figure out and came off emotionless a lot...except for his anger issues.

I wanted Nero to open up a little more emotionally.  I will say that he does a bit, but I wanted him to show it a little earlier.  It wasn't until the very end that he got really affectionate.


While I had a few little issues with this one, I still ended up enjoying it and I definitely want to read more by Garrett Leigh in the future.

*  Thank you to Riptide Publishing for giving me a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, I really enjoyed some parts of the story but did have a couple little issues that kept me from loving it. Thanks, Karen!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground