Review: Trusting You and Other Lies by Nicole Williams

Monday, June 19, 2017

Title: Trusting You and Other Lies
Author: Nicole Williams
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: June 20th 2017

 Phoenix can’t imagine anything worse than being shipped off to family summer camp. Her parents have been fighting for the past two years—do they seriously think being crammed in a cabin with Phoenix and her little brother, Harry, will make things better?

On top of that, Phoenix is stuck training with Callum—the head counselor who is seriously cute but a complete know-it-all. His hot-cold attitude means he’s impossible to figure out—and even harder to rely on. But despite her better judgment, Phoenix is attracted to Callum. And he’s promising Phoenix a summer she’ll never forget. Can she trust him? Or is this just another lie?


Phoenix is a teenager who is more than a little unhappy about spending the summer at Camp Kismet with her family after her dad lost his job.  Things with her family haven't been all that great so this is supposed to be a way to sort of work through it all.  The silver lining for Phoenix is that she got a job as a camp counselor, so she can save up for the car she's been wanting and possibly avoid her parents at the same time.  She didn't plan things being so hard, and meeting Callum along the way.

This book had a cute romance, but I felt like it actually took a backseat to the tension between the family members. I wanted a little more romance, if I'm being honest.  There was a nice slow build between the two main characters but it felt like it took FOREVER for either of them to mention the attraction/feelings.  I did really love the sibling bond between Phoenix and Harry.  He looks up to her a lot and Phoenix has definitely cast herself firmly in the role of his protector. The parents (mostly the mom because the dad was absent for most of the book) were a little bit frustrating, but I could tell where they were coming from.  They didn't want to worry their children about their financial situation, but I hated that they pushed them away in the process.  I really loved the growth in all of the characters involved in this story.  That is one thing that I believe the author did really well.

Another thing I enjoyed about this one was the setting.  Just about the entire book takes place at summer camp, and it was really fun atmosphere.  I'm an outdoorsy girl so I can connect with a lot of the fun activities and things like that.  I was a little disappointed that we didn't see the parents interacting with Phoenix and Harry more since that was one of the reasons for going to the camp in the first place.  I know the biggest reason was just to escape problems for a while but I would have liked to see the family bonding a little more.

While I thought the characters were written well, I didn't actually love any of them.  The ones I enjoyed the most were Harry and Callum.  I really didn't care for Phoenix much.  She seemed to spend most of the first half of the book acting really immature with her parents.  She is a very intelligent and driven character but she never confronts her parents once on what she's truly upset about?  She's pretty outspoken (in typically snotty teenage fashion) with them most of the time, so I found it hard to believe that she didn't demand answers from them at some point.

I have never read anything from Nicole Williams before this but after hearing so many great things about her, and seeing this super adorable cover I decided to give her a try.  Honestly, I felt a little underwhelmed by this book.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.  It's very middle of the road for me.  I feel like I spent the book waiting for something big to happen and then it never does... I don't know.  Maybe that's just me.  All of that being said, I would probably still give another Nicole Williams books a chance.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

12 comments:

  1. I agree. I loved Harry and Callum, but I also liked the coming of age Phoenix experienced as she realized everything is black or white, there are grey areas, and this applied to the lies she was hearing and telling. I liked the forgiveness that was granted and I was really happy with the epilogue. This got 3.5/5 from me, because I liked a few more things than you. Great review!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you ended up enjoying it a little bit more than I did. I really liked Callum and Harry a lot, but I didn't love the MC, Phoenix too much. Thanks Sam!

      Delete
  2. I started this one but then had to put it down to get some studying done and forgot about it. I'm sorry to hear you had mixed feelings. I would definitely want more from the romance from the sounds of it. I am looking forward to the siblings relationship though. I usually really love those.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sibling relationship ended up being my favorite part of the story. I hope that when you get to pick it back up that you end up enjoying it. Because of the cover of this one, I thought it was going to be much more about the romance but it ended up being more about her family....which is fine, just not what I expected going into it. Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. I still have this one t get to and kind of put it off after not super positive reviews. Hopefully I will get to it soon. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard much about this one either way so I wasn't sure what to expect going in. lol! It wasn't bad but it's probably not something I will remember in a month or so. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  4. It does look more like a romance book so I would be disappointing as well.

    Meh books are the hardest to deal with. For me anyway.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, from the cover I definitely thought it would be more of a romance. And I agree, the "meh" ones are the hardest to deal with sometimes. lol

      Thanks, Karen!

      Delete
  5. Oooo, this is YA? Is this the same Nicole Williams who writes a ton of adult/NA romance? I've not read any of her books but I feel like she has so many published. Given that the author has written so many romance novels, you'd think this book would be quite a romantic YA contemporary novel. Ah well. Great review, Julie!

    Have a great week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it is YA! I've not actually read anything from Nicole Willilams before so I'm not sure if it's the same NA romance author or not. I will have to check that out tho! Thanks, Alyssa!

      Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  6. I actually LIKE when authors choose not to focus on the romance. Hey, maybe I'll end up loving this one then! XD Hah. But anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you were hoping to. Thanks for your honest words though!

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha sometimes I am the same way. I think I just expected more romance because of the cover....I know, I know, "don't judge a book by it's cover" lol! Totally guilty! If you do get to check this one out, I hope you love it! Thanks, Cass!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground