Review: Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley

Friday, June 2, 2017

Title: Words in Deep Blue
Author: Cath Crowley
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers 
Publication Date: June 6th 2017

 Years ago, Rachel had a crush on Henry Jones. The day before she moved away, she tucked a love letter into his favorite book in his family’s bookshop. She waited. But Henry never came. 

Now Rachel has returned to the city—and to the bookshop—to work alongside the boy she’d rather not see, if at all possible, for the rest of her life. But Rachel needs the distraction. Her brother drowned months ago, and she can’t feel anything anymore. 

As Henry and Rachel work side by side—surrounded by books, watching love stories unfold, exchanging letters between the pages—they find hope in each other. Because life may be uncontrollable, even unbearable sometimes. But it’s possible that words, and love, and second chances are enough.



This was my first read by Cath Crowley, and I had seen so many 5 star reviews for this one that I couldn't wait to pick it up.  Don't hate me guys, but I didn't absolutely love it as much as I expected to.  Words in Deep Blue had all of the makings of a story that I would absolutely love: a bookstore w/ bookish characters, notes written back and forth through books, and a friends to lovers romance.  I think that is why I am so disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more than I did.

I think the issue that I had the biggest problem with was the dreaded love triangle.  Ugghh.  I've said a bunch of times that love triangles definitely aren't my thing. Henry was so completely pathetic over this Amy girl and she is absolutely awful.  Seriously!  She has no redeeming qualities, but he is completely in love with her for almost the entire story.  Annoying.  It took me a little while to get used to Crowley's writing style as well.  I thought it felt really choppy and abrupt at times.  It would take me out of the story.

Even though I had some issues with the story, there were still some things that I really love about the story.  I enjoyed seeing the growth in Rachel's character.  We get to see her grow through the stages of grief: anger, denial/avoidance, depression, and finally acceptance.  I also really loved the secondary characters in this one.  Each character had their own personality and I liked learning more about George and Martin.  I really loved Henry's dad too.  I enjoyed the parts that took place in the bookstore and loved reading all of the letters that the characters were writing back and forth.  I'm such a sucker for letters in romances.

I seem to have an unpopular opinion when it comes to this one, so don't completely take my word for it.  I've seen a lot of 5 star reviews for Words in Deep Blue.  I think this one may have been a case of "it's not you, it's me".  

*I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

14 comments:

  1. *sad face*
    But I understand why you may not have loved it. While reading it, I kept thinking about how not everyone would like it. You should still read Graffiti Moon though. That one doesn't have a triangle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww...I wanted to love this one sooo bad! lol! I LOVED the bookish themes and the note writing but the male MC just drove me nuts. lol I will definitely have to check out Graffiti Moon tho! Yayyy for no triangle!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a cute read, love triangles are not my thing either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love triangles seem to be a really popular theme in the YA world but they drive me a little crazy. lol! A lot of people really loved this one, so it may still be worth checking out

      Delete
  3. Oh jeez. All you had to do was mention love triangle and I would run far away. I'd seen so many positive reviews for this book but I never really had an zeal to seek out a copy - now I'm glad I didn't. I'm sorry you didn't totally enjoy this book, Julie!

    Have a great weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I agree, I hate love triangles. They seem to be everywhere right now. A lot of people really loved this one so it may still be worth checking out ...unless you REALLY hate love triangles like I do. lol

      Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Oooh. I've seen this book around and thought it was really pretty, but I just read the synpsis and got excited.

    It's horrible that there was a love triangle (why are these STILL SO COMMON?) and that his girlfriend has no redeeming qualities.

    I'm sorry that you didn't like it as much as you thought you would.

    Have a lovely weekend,
    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UUGGHH, right?! I can't stand love triangles and they still seem to be everywhere. I can't escape them! lol.

      Thanks Aditi! I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  5. You're not alone! I may have liked it slightly more than you but it definitely wasn't a 5 star read for me either. The Amy situation was horrible and it took up way too much of the book. But I did like a lot about the story too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I'm so glad I'm not completely alone! lol! I was wondering, What is wrong with me?! lol! It has some great qualities but the love triangle and male MC killed it for me.

      Delete
  6. Oh no, sorry you didn't enjoy this more as this is a book I am really excited to read. I didn't know there was a love triangle though so good to know so I can prepare myself when I eventually pick this up. Love triangles definitely spoil things as they often feel like unnecessary drama, it has to be written well for me to enjoy. Writing style is one of those things which is all down to personal preference, sorry the style didn't quite click for you but fingers crossed I have a slightly better experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you end up enjoying this one much more than I did! Like I said before, I seem to be in the small minority so I think you are probably safe. lol!

      Delete
  7. Amy was really, really annoying -- I agree. And I was frustrated that Rachel kept that huge secret from Henry. But I still really loved this one. It may be that her writing style isn't for you, but try Graffiti Moon - I don't think there is anything triangle-y there, but it is a kind of hate-to-love....
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you ended up enjoying this one. I am definitely in the minority with this one. lol! I think I went in already believing that I was going to love it and with all the hype around this one, that it ended up killing it for me. I definitely want to try Graffiti Moon. Everyone says they loved that one. And I do love the hate to love stories. Thanks, Jen!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground