Review: Faking It by Riley Hart & Devon McCormack

Monday, July 10, 2017

Title: Faking It
Authors: Riley Hart & Devon McCormack
Series: Metropolis, #1
Genre: MM Romance
Publication Date: January 17th 2017
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon

There’s never a dull moment at Metropolis…the condominium known for having the hottest openly gay tenants in town. The boys of Metropolis are always on the prowl for a good time. They like their drinks heavy and their tricks easy. 

Gary should be living it up in his South Tower unit of Metropolis, but he’s having a hard time adjusting to his newly single status. It’s not easy to walk away from five years with his ex, who he discovered was cheating on him with some North Tower twink. After a night out partying, licking his wounds, he goes to bed alone. When he wakes the next morning, there’s a naked guy in his bed. Not just any guy. A stud from North Tower. But hot as he is, what the hell is he doing in his room? 

Travis Waller doesn’t get why Gary’s freaking out. So he went home with Gary’s roommate and accidentally crawled into the wrong bed. It’s not the first time he’s woken up in a strange place. Maybe Gary would loosen up a little if he gave it a try as well. Travis has more important things to deal with though…like his meeting with an investor who could give him the money to start his massage parlor. 

They’re both sure that’s the last time they’ll have to deal with each other until a mix-up leads Gary’s ex and Travis’s investor to think they’re an item, which Gary and Travis use to their benefit by posing as a couple around town. Soon, they discover the chemistry between them is off the charts. Travis brings out a sexual confidence Gary didn’t know he had—one Travis enjoys exploring with him. But as the two keep up their boyfriend hoax, Gary realizes Travis isn’t as shallow as he thought. Gary’s starting to develop feelings for him. But Travis doesn’t do relationships, and Gary should know better, considering they’re just faking it…



I sound like a broken record when I saw this, but I love a fake relationship romance!  I can't get enough of them, especially when they are done right.  I've read quite a few of Riley Hart's books but I think this one is my new favorite.  I've only read one other Devon McCormack book, and while that one wasn't my cup of tea I think I need to check out more from him after reading this one.  I loved almost everything about this one.

Gary has recently gotten out of a relationship with a man that he had been with for 5 years, and found out that man had been cheating on him for at least 2 of those years.  He is still healing and is left with some baggage and self confidence issues.  When he returns home after a night out with his friend, the last thing he expects is to see a naked man in bed next to him.  He recognizes the man as Travis, a guy he has noticed around and lusted after.  Travis came home with his roommate that night but was drunk and went into the wrong room during the night and ended up in his bed.  Travis laughs it off but Gary is mortified.  Later at a party rumors are flying that Gary and Travis hooked up and Gary's ex confronts him about it.  After a misunderstanding Gary and Travis decide it can be mutually beneficial to pretend they are in a relationship together.  Gary can show his ex that he's moved on, and Travis can show a possible future investor that he can commit to something long term.  The chemistry between them is sizzling and after a while the lines between real and pretend start to blur.

Travis is really self assured and cocky, but we learn that a lot of it is just an act and a self defense mechanism so he can't get hurt.  While I typically don't go for the really cocky types, Travis did it in more of a funny way.  He was never a jerk about it or belittled anyone else...unless it was Gary's ex, of course, and I saw no problem with that. lol!  I loved the way he built up Gary's confidence and was always really supportive.

Gary starts off as a bit of an introvert and a wallflower type.  He hides a lot of his personality, but that changes as his character grows in the story.  He starts getting more comfortable with himself and self confident.  I love seeing him sort of come alive.

There are a ton of steamy scenes between these two, but the story doesn't suffer because of it.  There is still a lot of character growth.  Faking It also introduces some great secondary characters that I can't wait to read more about in the next books.  The only issues I really had with this one was the "meh" feelings that I had about Travis originally hooking up with Gary's roommate at the start of the story there.  I think this became a nonissue for me as the story went on because there was NO drama involved with it at all, which was nice.  I also didn't like how Gary was constantly bringing up his ex.  I know the whole purpose of their fake relationship originally was to show his ex he was over him and make him jealous, but I felt like he talked about it too much.  That's just me tho. lol!  I still really enjoyed this one a lot tho.

Find It Here:

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great read! Fake relationship romances are some of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the fake romance trope. It's always so much fun! I really enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  2. You can never go wrong with a fake-relationship written well. This sounds like a really fun premise, and the main characters sound fantastic. I love that they both grow throughout the story.
    Great review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love fake relationships but only if they are done the right way. And I can't stand when the character doesn't grow at all throughout the story, so I'm glad that it wasn't the case here. Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. I think fake relationships that turn into more can be really fun. I'm glad you liked this one. I'll have to add it to my wish list.

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! fake relationships are one of my favorite tropes when they are done right. Hope you like it if you get to check it out!

      Delete
  4. I sort of got stuck just staring at the cover for a few minutes lol

    This sounds super cute!

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! That's what caught my attention about this book first too. That cover is great! I also really love fake relationship romances. lol

      Delete
    2. So I just finished this one and I'm reading Cody and Hayden's book now.

      I didn't realize Riley Hart is a pen name for Nyrae Dawn - I'm a huge fan of hers. So that was a fun surprise.

      For What It's Worth

      Delete
    3. I actually didn't know that either...although I've never heard of Nyrae Dawn.. I'm going to have to check that out now. lol I flew through this series. lol Can't wait to see what you think of them!

      Delete
  5. I am a sucker for a fake relationship so I am totally interested in reading this one. It sounds like an enjoyable read and one which will like. Now just to hope I shift a few books off of my shelves so I can justify buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha me too! If I see a synopsis that mentions a fake relationship, I'm almost always automatically in. lol! I hope you love it if you get a chance to pick it up!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground