Review: Paper Hearts by Ali Novak

Friday, July 14, 2017

Title: Paper Hearts
Author: Ali Novak
Series: The Heartbreakers Chronicles #2
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: July 1st, 2017

 “When I met Alec Williams, I nearly fainted. Totally embarrassing, but how often does a regular girl get to meet a famous heartthrob?”

Felicity has been living in the shadow of her best friend Lucy since they were kids. But things change when she is introduced to a quiet guy named Alec. At first Felicity is intimidated by his fame, but as the two grow closer she starts to realize that Alec just might be the guy of her dreams. No other guy has ever made her feel so alive. 

The only problem? Lucy has different plans for Alec—plans that start with prom. 

Felicity quickly realizes that she will have to make a decision. Will she choose her best friend who has always been there for her, or the mysterious boy that she can't stop thinking about? Whatever her choice, someone is going to be left broken hearted.

Meet... The Queen of Hearts.


Paper Hearts is the second book in Ali Novak's The Heartbreaker Chronicles, but can be read as a standalone.  The Heartbreakers are a band and each book focuses on a different couple but we do see the characters from the previous book.  I really loved the first book in the series, and was really excited when I saw that the second book was finally out, especially since it includes a road trip. I love road trip stories! Unfortunately, I didn't think this one lived up to the first book.

I didn't feel like I connected with the main characters as much as I did with the couple from the first story.  Alec was so closed off and emotionless that it was hard to tell how he was feeling about anything.  I think the author was going for the shy, "mysterious" type but he just came off kind of flat to me.  Felicity is hard-working, money-conscious and very focused on her education. She had a lot of drama going on around her to focus on, and I just didn't end up feeling any spark between them at all.  I  feel like I ended up loving the secondary characters more than the main characters in this one.  I was more interested in Boomer and Asha's relationship than Alec and Felicity's.

The ongoing theme in this book is miscommunication, or just not communicating at all.  It drove me a little crazy if I'm being honest.  First we have the whole mystery of where Felicity's sister disappeared to and why, secrets her mom is keeping, then we have Felicity's best friends not telling her that they are secretly dating, then Felicity assumes all the wrong things about Alec instead of talking to him like a normal person.....it was a bit repetitive.  If I'm being honest a lot of the drama felt a little unbelievable and soap opera-ish at times too.

While I didn't end up loving this one nearly as much as the first one, I didn't absolutely hate it either.  I ended up settling on 3 stars because I did enjoy most of the characters.  The secondary characters are what ended up making this one for me.  I liked when Felicity finally got things figured out about her sister too.  I just didn't feel any chemistry or spark between the main characters so I couldn't get behind the romance side of things.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are own.  *

Find It Here:

20 comments:

  1. I love road trip books too! Pretty much as soon as I see the word road trip mentioned in a synopsis I add it to my TBR lol That's too bad you didn't like this one as much as the first book. I feel like with a book like this if you can't feel the spark between the characters there's not much you can really do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm always bummed when I don't feel "it" between the two MCs, but I do love stories that include fun road trips tho! I'm actually reading another one that involves a road trip right now. lol! Hope you enjoy this one if you get to read it.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I do terrible with miscommunication angst! That's too bad you didn't connect with these characters as much. Glad to hear there were some highlights for you to enjoy though! Great review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cyn! I'm not a big fan of the Miscommunication tropes either. They make me a little crazy. lol.

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this one as much as the first book Julie. I really do hate it when there's lack of communication in a story, but I'm glad to see that this didn't take the enjoyment of the story away from you. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a little bummed that I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one. I think I gave the first one 5 stars! lol. It was a lot of fun. Communication issues are one of my biggest pet peeves in books. Thanks, Jasprit!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love a road trip book too!! Stinks this one wasn't a great one. Miscommunication is one thing I HATE in a book!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say no to road trip stories. I'm actually reading another one with a road trip right now. lol! And I agree, miscommunication is one of my pet peeves in books. Thanks Grace!

      Delete
  5. Oh sorry you didn't enjoy this as you hoped, Julie. I hope your next read is way better, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm reading another road trip story right now actually and it's going well so far!

      Delete
  6. Probably not for me but that is a super cute cover!

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first book so much that I figured I would love this one too. Not so much. Oh well, on to the next one!

      Delete
  7. Too bad it wasn't as good as the first one. Gotta hate it when that happened. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's so disappointing when the sequel of a great book let's you down. I feel like that has been happening a lot with sequels lately.

      Delete
  8. Don't you feel like the miscommunication thing is the conflict builder for a lot of books? Sometimes it makes me nuts, but I guess I like it better then cheating or killing a character to achieve the conflict. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! And it drives me crazy! lol. I roll my eyes every time I see it coming. Especially when it's REALLY drawn out. Uggh! But you are right, it's better than pulling a George RR Martin and killing off a character. lol I HATE cheating. That automatically ruins a book for me.

      Delete
  9. Sounds kinda cute but miscommunication issues can be hard to get around. I always get annoyed at those too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can handle miscommunication (I still don't like it) as long as it isn't super drawn out and annoying. That drives me crazy. lol

      Delete
  10. Bummer this one isn't quite as good as book one... but it sure looks cute! I think I read about this series at some point (maybe when the first book was new?), and as it sounds cute (plus I'm a contemporary fan), I'll have to see if I want to add it to my TBR! Thanks for the review, Julie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hate when I sequel lets you down after you really loved the first book. Oh well, maybe I'll like the next one better! If you do get a chance to check it out, I hope you love it. Thanks, Rissi!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground