Quickie Review: A Fashionable Indulgence by K.J. Charles

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Title: A Fashionable Indulgence
Author: K.J. Charles
Series: Society of Gentlemen #1
Genre: Historical MM Romance
Publisher: Loveswept
Publication Date: August 11th 2015

 In the first novel of an explosive new series from K. J. Charles, a young gentleman and his elegant mentor fight for love in a world of wealth, power, and manipulation.

When he learns that he could be the heir to an unexpected fortune, Harry Vane rejects his past as a Radical fighting for government reform and sets about wooing his lovely cousin. But his heart is captured instead by the most beautiful, chic man he’s ever met: the dandy tasked with instructing him in the manners and style of the ton. Harry’s new station demands conformity—and yet the one thing he desires is a taste of the wrong pair of lips.

After witnessing firsthand the horrors of Waterloo, Julius Norreys sought refuge behind the luxurious facade of the upper crust. Now he concerns himself exclusively with the cut of his coat and the quality of his boots. And yet his protégé is so unblemished by cynicism that he inspires the first flare of genuine desire Julius has felt in years. He cannot protect Harry from the worst excesses of society. But together they can withstand the high price of passion.




Unpopular opinion time: I didn't love it.  EVERYONE I know that has read this one has loved it!  I read the third book in this series and decided to go back to read this one, but I just felt bored.  It was written very well and seemed historically accurate for the time, but I just couldn't get into this one at all.  I didn't feel as if there was a strong enough pull of the chemistry between them, and then there was SO MUCH going on with the plot that I just couldn't fully get into their relationship.  That being said, I'm probably still going to read the second book because K.J. Charles is great at leaving you wanting more with her secondary characters.  I need to know more about Dominic and Silas.  I didn't think this was a bad book by any means, I just liked the third book a lot better.


Find It Here:

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it the worst when you don't like a book everyone else has loved? That happened to me with Caraval, and I'm still trying to figure out why exactly I didn't like it. Anyhow, that's awesome that the author seemed to have historical accuracy in this - I always love when historical writers manage to do that. Hope you enjoy your reread of the next book better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bad habit of not enjoying the super popular books, it seems. lol! I still haven't gotten to check out Caraval. There were so many positive reviews for this one at once and then after a couple months I started to see more and more mixed reviews. I'll probably still read it eventually but I won't go into it with quite as high of hopes. lol. Thanks Lauren!

      Delete
  2. I liked but didn't love this one but I did LOVE A Seditious Affair. That's still my favorite book by her. I hope you give it a try.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to give that one a chance. I think I may own it already actually. lol! I'm not sure. I have SOOO much stuff on my Kindle that I forget. Thanks, Karen!

      Delete
  3. Its the worst when you feel bored in a book!! I do think authors should be careful in plots though, especially when there is a romance involved so they don't sacrifice the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I was bummed that I felt bored in this one. I've heard from a few people that the next one is much better so I'm definitely going to have to give that one a try too.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground