Review: Barrel Proof by Layla Reyne

Monday, August 7, 2017

Title: Barrel Proof
Author: Layla Reyne
Series: Agent Irish and Whiskey, #3
Genre: MM Romance, Suspense
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: August 7th 2017

 FBI agents Aidan "Irish" Talley and Jameson "Whiskey" Walker can't get a moment's peace. Their hunt for the terrorist Renaud seems to be nearing an end, until a fire allows him to slip through their fingers—and puts Jamie's life in danger. When Jamie is nearly killed, Aidan learns how many forms loss can take.

Aidan says I love you just moments before learning that Jamie's been keeping a devastating secret about Aidan's late husband. How quickly trust and love can go up in flames. When Aidan requests a solo undercover assignment, Jamie hopes Aidan will find a way to forgive him.

But the explosions are far from over. Aidan's cover lands him in the heart of the terrorist's conspiracy, and Jamie will have to put his life, his career and his freedom on the line to save the man who has become his entire world. Partners, always is a promise he intends to keep.



Barrel Proof is the third book in the Agents Irish and Whiskey series by Layla Reyne.  I would not recommend trying to read these books as standalones, because I think you would be pretty lost with the storyline.  There is a continuing plot line throughout all three books, so you need to read them in order to fully understand what is going on.  In this last book, everything is wrapped up tight, which I like.  I don't like any open ends.

At the beginning of this book, we know that Jamie has still been keeping a lot of things from Aiden, per order of their boss.  Aiden finds out the secret that Jamie and Aiden's best friend (who also happens to be their boss) have been keeping from him, and decides he needs a little space from Jamie.  He asks for a solo undercover mission just so he can get away for a while, clear his head, and until his anger cools.    Aiden eventually gets pulled back into the case and continues to work with Jamie, but isn't sure if he can get over the betrayal.  Their relationship takes a backseat as new twists and issues pop up in their case, but they are more determined than ever to stop Renaud and the people that worked with him.

I don't want to give too much away about the story line so I'm sorry if that sounds pretty vague. lol!  Just know that this one is much more "action heavy" than relationship focused compared to the last two books in the series.  There were still a couple steamy moments, but this one was much more angsty because the secret was out and trust was broken.  This one put me through a lot of the feels.  There were heartbreaking moments, steamy scenes, sweet moments, and lots of action.

Because of Aiden "taking some space" I missed these two being in the adorable relationship that they were in, in the previous two books, so that bummed me out a bit.  They were just so cute together!  BUT I did really like how everything was wrapped up in the end, and that we saw where these characters were after all the dust settled with the case.  I will definitely be checking out more of Layla Reyne's books in the future!


* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here: 

10 comments:

  1. I'm always hesitant to try series with the same couple featured in all the books. I worry constantly that they'll break up, or there will be some sort of drama to separate them. It sounds like it happens in this one, but is handled well? Which is good! I'm glad you liked this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way when it comes to series romances with the same couple, but I don't thing the "separation" was too bad in this case was we weren't left in a cliffhanger with it, it occurred in this book and was dealt with in the same book so they didn't leave us hanging. Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So glad to hear that you enjoyed this series too! I definitely want to read more from Layla Reyne

      Delete
  3. Oh I didn't know about this series, but I've been looking for a great new M/M romance and this sounds pretty intriguing already, so thanks for the rec and great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it if you get a chance to check it out. This author was completely new to me before the series but I definitely want to read more from her. Thanks, Lindsey!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this series before, but it sounds great. I love any kind of suspense read. Also, I'm completely with you on open endings! I always want things typed up in an niece little bow lol it bothers me when they aren't.

    Lauren @ Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of suspenseful romances too. So glad I'm not the only way that feels that way about open endings. lol! Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  5. I really love this series. I did miss their relationship in this one - but I also thought it was realistic after the secrets were revealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. It was definitely realistic with the secrets being revealed. I just missed them being together. lol! I did really enjoy this series a lot.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground