Review: Takeover by Anna Zabo

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Title: Takeover
Author: Anna Zabo
Series: Takeover series #1
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: InterMix
Publication Date: August 19th 2014

 Michael Sebastian thought Curacao would be the perfect place to have a little fun in the sun—and between the sheets. So far, no one has struck his interest, until Sam Anderson walks into the bar. With one look at his tense body and expensive suit, Michael knows that this is a man in need of release. And Michael is more than willing to lend a hand.

Shattered by the most intense sex he’s ever had, Sam has to face the facts—one night with a handsome, dominating stranger is all he gets before returning to the closet he’s been suffocating in for years. But when Sam starts his new job as the CEO of a failing technology company, he discovers that Michael is one of his new employees.

While Michael is desperate for another night with Sam, he knows he shouldn’t get involved with his boss, let alone another man who can’t accept who he is. But as they’re forced to work together to save the company, the desire sparking between them becomes impossible to ignore…



Michael and Sam meet in a bar while vacationing in Curacao, and decide to have one night of fun together before heading back to their "real lives".  They don't exchange any information about their lives other than their first names.  They feel a strong connection with each other but ultimately go their separate ways.  But both Michael and Sam are surprised when Sam turns out to be Michael's new CEO.  They both agree to try to forget their night together and attempt just a friendship.  That agreement is easier said than done, because they both have a hard time fighting the chemistry between them.  There are a lot of things against them other than Sam being Michael's new boss; Michael has emotional baggage from his last relationship and Sam is still in the closet with his sexuality at work.

Michael and Sam completed and complimented each other perfectly. I really enjoyed watching them work through their emotions while having to deal with office politics. In their own way, they had to finally stand up for what they wanted, make a decision, and take a stand.  The steamy moments between them were sizzling. Their steamy moments included some light BDSM (ex: spanking, begging) but nothing too extreme.  These two were really hot together.  While Sam was the one in charge during the day, when it came to their sex life Michael was the one in charge.

I did have a few frustrations with this one as well.  One issue I had with this one was that there was maybe TOO much talk of the business at times.  I know it's part of the plot of the story but I felt as if it was a little too much, and a tad boring at times.  Sometimes Sam's internal monologues really annoyed me.  His issues were really repetitive so I found myself skimming through sections.  I also wanted a little more from them at the end.  It felt really abrupt and rushed.  After the in depth discussions of the business, I was disappointed that their HEA felt so rushed.

All in all, I did end up enjoying this one.  This was my first read from Anna Zabo, but I will definitely be picking up more from her in the future.  I look forward to continuing this series as well.  

* I received a free copy of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author or series before, but Takeover sounds great! I always love when a supposedly one time romance turns into something more, especially when the characters are thrusted into a complicated situation like Michael and Sam. Great review, Julie! :)

    Lauren @ Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Zabo was completely new to me too, but I enjoyed this one so I will have to keep my eye out for some of her others. And I want to read the rest of this series. I love office romances! lol Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  2. I read this awhile ago and just looked up my review. I gave it four stars but would have liked a more solid ending and that it was abrupt (which is what you said too)

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wanted just a little bit more from the ending. It was a longer book and drawn out in places so I was surprised by such an abrupt feeling ending. Glad you enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  3. That would be an interesting first day of work :) I am glad you enjoyed this one despite the issues you had. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, it would! I totally would have given myself away with blushing or acting weird. haha! Thanks, Carole!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for another amazing sounding M/M recommendation! I also do love me some office romances so I'm definitely intrigued! Glad to hear you enjoyed this, despite a few issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Office romances are really fun! Thanks so much! I hope you love this one if you get a chance to pick it up!

      Delete
  5. I've read the first three in the series - the second one has the most BDSM, which isn't always my favorite, but I thought the relationship was handled well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of the others in the series yet but I think I am going to give it a try one day. I'm the same way with the BDSM stuff. I don't love it, but sometimes the story makes it okay.

      Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground