10 Books I Struggled With (or DNF)

Tuesday, September 5, 2017


I am linking up today at The Broke and the Bookish's link up "Top Ten Tuesday".  They have a different topic every week and it's a lot of fun to meet some new bloggers and find a bunch of new books to add to my list!  This week's topic is: Ten Books I DNF or Struggled With


A lot of the books I read I have received for review.  Because I have received them for review, I always feel an obligation to try to read them until the very end.  I haven't DNF too many books, but there are a few that I just couldn't push my way through.  Keep in mind that these are all my personal opinions, and you may feel completely differently than I do, and that's okay!


There is a repeating theme involving self-harm in this story, while that didn't automatically make it a "no" for me, there needs to be some sort of talk about the form of an ending to that behavior.  I feel as if Cosamino ties this harmful behavior to a positive reward by "gifting" her a boy in her life.



I read through the entire Italy (Eat) section and just couldn't get past her completely self-entitled/self-centered attitude. I expected more about the areas that she was traveling too but it was just a nonstop tale of her grief over her relationships not working out. She had a "why me" attitude and the whole time you are thinking, really?! you just got a full year paid vacation!! Get it together. I was really disappointed in this one after all of the hype about it.



The whole beginning of Blur was incredibly depressing, disgusting, and pretty twisted at times, but I had to call it quits when I got to the on-page descriptive rape scene.  I typically avoid books that have rape in them but this one didn't come with a warning.



I didn't feel any connection between the MCs at all and I didn't enjoy the mystery side of things either.  Because this is a book involving an FBI agent and hacker combo, I really expected more suspense. I also felt no chemistry between either of the MCs. It was really strange.



When I read the synopsis of this one it sounded like something I would really love; "Men get into all kinds of predicaments that poke at the funny bone in this amusingly erotic collection" (taken from Goodreads description). I must not have gotten the joke because several of the stories that I came across included what I would consider rape scenes or forced sexual action.  No thanks.

  

The female MC, Selena, killed this one for me. The only person she cares about throughout the entire book is herself. She proves it time and time again, while repeatedly ripping out Jarrod's heart. I actually ended up hoping that she would leave for the "dream job" and then when she finally came to her senses, he would have moved on. It's what she would have deserved. She says multiple times that all she wants is for him to be happy but at the same time she doesn't want him to ever move on from her either. I understand being ambitious and going for your dreams but hurting people along the way isn't the way to go. The only reason I gave this one 2 stars instead of one is because I genuinely loved Jarrod and his brother's characters.



I really love stories that are inspired by fairy tales, but I had a hard time getting into this one. I didn't feel like the story flowed very nicely. It could be because I missed the first book in the series though. The beginning of the story really dragged for me until it got past halfway, so that was disappointing. I really didn't feel the attraction between the two characters much. It seemed a bit forced.to me.



Em was extremely unlikable. I realize that she had commitment issues and also issues about when her dad passed, but she just seemed so cold and cruel to her "friends" most of the time. She was very self centered and was rude to Cole constantly. I couldn't understand what he saw in her honestly. It seemed like the only time she was nice to him were the times when she was drunk. I just didn't feel the attraction or even a caring attitude on her end.



I ended up not liking Marc's character so much because he would say that he trusted Anthony but his actions showed that he really didn't at all. I was hoping as the story went one that his character would grow a bit but instead he just seemed to get worse. He has anger issues and actually punches Anthony (his love interest) in the face but it ends up being glossed over like it wasn't a big deal. That's abuse. I don't care if you say "you're sorry and it won't happen again" or not. There was no talk of him going to counseling or anything and Anthony blamed himself, so it ends up swept under the rug. Sorry, no.



I feel like this once started out okay but then quickly lost some steam. The middle section of the book really dragged on for me. I also didn't really understand why Peter was a happy boy playing around Neverland one second and bloodthirsty murderer the next. I expected some kind of reasoning. I'm also not a huge fan of stories that are depressing the whole way through with no redemption at all. I mean, I knew it wasn't going to end well for James but it just felt like watching someone repeatedly kick an injured dog.



Have you read any of these?
What are some books that you struggled to get through?
Do you DNF books, and if so, do you feel guilty about it?


32 comments:

  1. I didn't put it on my list since I finally did make it to the last page, but I really disliked Eat, Pray, Love for the same reason you did. The narrator was just so annoying. I remember referring to the book as Eat, Drink, Whine the whole time I was reading it. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that I'm not the only Eat, Pray, Love hater. lol. I couldn't stand the narrator at all. I even tried watching the movie to see if that was any better and I didn't like that either. lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes on Eat, Pray, Love. I think I made it as far as you and I HATED it. Glad I am not the only one. I struggled with Never Never too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss!!! Everyone else I know loved this one and told me I needed to read it. lol They all thought I was crazy when I didn't like it at all. Never Never was ROUGH! I mean, I knew it wasn't going to be sunshine and rainbows for James but yikes. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  3. I never read Eat, Pray, Love, but I went to see the movie when it was first released because I love Julia Roberts. It was just so bad. I couldn't stand Elizabeth for many of the same reasons as you. So when a fire alarm went off accidentally during the movie and evacuated everyone, we took as sign just to abandon the movie and leave lol Great list, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried watching the movie to see if I would enjoy it more than the book, but I didn't like that either. lol. I really love Julia Roberts too, so that's the only reason I gave it a shot. hahaha I think I probably would have done the same thing if a fire alarm went off during that movie. If it was any other movie I would probably be so mad and wait it out. Thanks, Lauren

      Delete
  4. OMG, Eat Pray Love. I just can't. So self-absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a few of these but I actually enjoyed them for the most part. I like hearing why people DNF books though!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww haha sorry! It is always cool to see other opinions tho. I love reading reviews for books I've already read and seeing their thoughts

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these, but I have read a ton of mixed reviews of Wired though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember being relived when I saw I wasn't the only one that had a few issues with Wired. She is such a popular author that I thought I was going to be the really unpopular opinion.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these. But I often struggle to make it through retellings of classic fairy tales or children stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the idea of fairytale retellings but there aren't too many that I can honestly say that I've really loved.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I had the same reaction to Eat, Pray, Love.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to see a few people in the comments have agreed with me about that one. Most of the people that I know IRL that have read it, loved it. I felt like an outcast. haha!

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy Eat Pray Love. My grandmother loves the movie, but I've never read the book nor watched the film. I've seen The Suffering Tree before too, but I never knew what it was a bout. That cover, though, is SO BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover for The Suffering Tree is what sucked me in, if I'm being honest. So I guess it serves me right for judging a book by it's cover. lol! Thanks, Sophie!

      Delete
  10. Eat, Pray, Love was definitely a struggle to get through! I pushed through it but looking back I shouldn't have. I'm trying to DNF a bit faster nowadays, but since I often struggle with beginnings, I alwasy try to read as much as possible... and then I'm past the point of DNF'ing so I just finish the book. Though I haven't read it myself yet, I saw a lot of negative reviews about Never Never that mention the same things, so I guess it's a no for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say I should give on on books faster but sometimes I still try to muscle through...and then regret it when I do. lol! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't love Never Never. I was so disappointed by it. Thanks, Lindsey

      Delete
  11. Great list! #Blur sounds awful. =\ I'm not the biggest fan of the original Peter Pan so I tend to stay away from retellings, too - I've yet to come across one that's caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #Blur was so disappointing. I'm still really disappointed every time I think about it. I was really enjoying that series and I didn't expect anything that that too happened. Peter Pan was never my favorite fairytale but I can't seem to stay away from any and all retellings. lol! Thanks, Jess!

      Delete
  12. I'm so happy to see several other people didn't like Eat, Pray, Love either. I feel much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha me too! I feel like such an outcast for not loving that book!

      Delete
  13. Thought I was the only person who really disliked Eat, Pray Love. Not a fan of it at all!
    Jen Ryland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Every person that I talked to in real life told me how great the book/movie was and I didn't enjoy it at all. Thanks, Jen!

      Delete
  14. I saw the Eat, Pray, Love movie but I think I'd be disappointed too, I'd want to hear more about Italy! And it sounds like I wouldn't like Never Never either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eat, Pray, Love seemed like it was going to be such a great wanderlust kind of book but it was really disappointing for me. Thanks, Greg!

      Delete
  15. I have only read one book on your list. Wired. I couldn't agree with you more. It was not good and I am a little mad that I didn't just dnf early on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really mad at myself for not DNFing it too. I really should have. I remember putting it down and thinking I was going to do just that but then pushing through to the end. It seems like a lot of people had the same thoughts we did on that one tho. Thanks, Carole!

      Delete
  16. The only book I've read from your list is Eat, Pray, Love and although I did struggle with it, I did like the overall story. I do DNF a fair number of books too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love a bit more than I did. I think I just went in expecting to get a great wanderlust story and I didn't feel like I was getting it. Thanks, Elizabeth!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground