Double Review: Leo Loves Aries & Scorpio Hates Virgo by Anyta Sunday

Monday, September 4, 2017


I hadn't heard of this author before seeing her latest book, Scorpio Hates Virgo on NetGalley, and I was instantly intrigued because I've always been a bit of a horoscope nerd. lol!  I don't think it actually predicts anything, but I always get a kick out of reading mine.  Sort of like when you read your fortune from a fortune cookie!  It gives you something to think about.  But anyway!!  I was approved for the second book in the series on NetGalley and then found the first book on Amazon, and it was available for Kindle Unlimited, yayyy!  Sooo, I binge-read them both. lol.  No shame.


Leo Loves Aries by Anyta Sunday
Synopsis:
A new person will enter your life in the early year, Leo. Look past any moments of frustration they might bring and laugh—this could be the start of a thriving friendship.

Theo Wallace usually laughs at the horoscopes his mom sends. Still hung up on his ex-girlfriend and practically friendless, this one begs him to reconsider. Because a friendship that stuck, that thrived…

Well, that would be a reason to leave past pains behind and look to the Bright Future.

When his sister Leone challenges him to find her the perfect date for a spring wedding, Theo uses it as a chance to make new friends. Theo’s ex economics tutor and newest roommate Mr Jamie Cooper seems to be a possible and convenient match. Real convenient. Like written in the stars, convenient.

All he has to do is make sure this Jamie is good enough. Could really be the one for her, and the friend for him.

But watch out, Leo, the stars have a surprise in store…
 



This was my first read by Anyta Sunday and I'm super excited to say I really enjoyed this one.  Theo was so incredibly oblivious throughout the story, but so adorable. The banter between Theo and Jamie was so good.  The romance was really slow-burn because, again, Theo is completely clueless.  lol! There was a little bit of steam between them towards the end of the book, but there are only a few steamy scenes.  I actually really loved the slow build up in this one.  Sometimes I get bored waiting for something to happen, but that wasn't the case with these two.   The secondary characters, Leone and Sean, were a really nice addition to the story and I felt myself rooting them on too.  I did end up wanting just a little more at this end of this one.  I felt like things wrapped up too quickly.  I would have loved a little epilogue.   Overall, this was a light and fluffy read, with little to no angst.





Synopsis:
This year is all about healing the heart, Scorpio. It’s time to leave negative attitudes and stoic facades at the door and let others see the real, more vulnerable you.

Percy Freedman is not grieving. Absolutely not, take that back at once. No, he’s entirely sure that selling his dead aunt’s home and leaving the neighbors he’s known for years is the sane thing to do. Who in their right mind would keep the house that smells like all the hugs he’ll never have again?

Nobody, that’s who.

Well, except his cul-de-sac neighbors. They all seem to think some paint and new furniture will clean the emotional slate. They all want him to stay.

Even his nemesis, Callaghan Glover. 

Especially his nemesis, Callaghan Glover.

Lured into a game of Sherlock Gnomes, Percy finds himself hanging out with his neighbors more than might be considered healthy. Along with juggling new and surprising verbal grenades from Cal, and his burgeoning friendship with Gnomber9, Percy is starting to wonder if selling might have been the grief talking after all . . .

That’s right, Scorpio. With a little patience, heartbreak might be a thing of the past . . .



I didn't end up loving this one quite as much as the first one, but I still enjoyed it a lot.  This one had an excruciating slow burn kind of romance. lol!  I thought this one was going to be more of a enemies to lovers type of romance, but it's actually more of a friends-to-lovers story.  The "nemesis" label is more of a joke.  They tease each other a lot but it's never anything cruel.  I had a really hard time connecting with  Cal.  He hides away everything he's feeling behind a mask so it's hard to read him and he comes off emotionless at times.  Then other times he's so sweet; like when he's playing around with his younger sisters.  He's got a big heart, I just wish we saw more of it when it came to Percy.  He does finally start to open up more at the end, but it took so long!  I like that he got Percy to open up about the loss of his aunt too.  I loved all of the secondary characters in the close-knit neighborhood a lot.  We even get to see a peek of Theo and Jamie (from the first book)!






14 comments:

  1. Well I do love a slow burn. lol These sound quite interesting and I've never heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a completely new to me author too! I'm excited to give more of her books a try in the future tho.

      Delete
  2. The first one sounds so cute! I would love it especially with the slow burn romance.

    Sorry the second one wasn't as good as the first one for you. It is always hard when you can't connect with one of the characters.

    I'm glad you discovered an author you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow burn romances are exactly what I want sometimes. It's nice when they aren't jumping all over each other right away.

      I was disappointed with the second one. I really wanted to love it....mostly because I'm a Scorpio!! hahaha Just kidding...mostly. I'm all for a strong silent type but he took it a little too far, I guess. It was almost robotic to me.

      Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series. I do like a slow burn romance but if it is too slow it can lose me a bit. These both sound like worthwhile reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about slow burns sometimes being just a little too slow, but I thought that was handled well with these ones. That time was spent getting to know each other and forming a closer bond, so I liked it. Thanks, Carole

      Delete
  4. Slow burn romances are sometimes hit or miss with me, I need extreme chemistry for slow burns to work for me.

    Great reviews, thanks for sharing!
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes slow burns don't work for me, but they are done right I really like them. Of course sometimes I want those super steamy reads too. lol

      Thanks, Brittany!

      Delete
  5. I've read True Colors by this author (review up soon) but not either of these. They sound really well done! Thanks for sharing.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about this authors other books after reading these too so I can't wait to see your review for True Colors. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  6. I really should try these but the covers turn me off. Must ignore first impression! lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I know what you mean. I really don't like that second cover at all. The first one is "just okay". I like the background but don't love the models they chose or something. I don't know what it is about them. Thanks Karen!

      Delete
  7. I love horoscopes, I don't believe them but everyone loves reading them so the titles definitely appeal to me. They sound like they were fun reads even if the second wasn't quite as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm kind of the same way. I don't believe the horoscopes come true but it's always a lot of fun to read. Just like fortune cookies! Thanks, Becky!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground