Review: Blood Guard by Megan Erickson

Monday, September 11, 2017

Title: Blood Guard
Author: Megan Erickson
Series: Mission, #1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Loveswept
Publication date: September 12th 2017


 Enter a world of immortal danger and desire—and discover an incredible fate borne of blood.

Tendra: One minute, I’m a bartender in gritty Mission City; the next, I’m whisked away by a vampire named Athan who tells me that I’m the lifeblood of his clan. It sounds unbelievable, but he’s got evidence I can’t deny. Turns out, Athan belongs to an underground society of vampires who feed only on humans with their consent. Their enemies have no such qualms, and they want me dead. The only thing standing in their way is strong, sexy Athan. And the closer we get, the more tempted I am to let Athan feed. . . .

Athan: How could I have known when I snatched this snarky, beautiful human off the streets that she would change mydestiny? As a loyal soldier, I must deliver Tendra to our future king—my brother. Empowered with the blood of ten generations of the Gregorie breed, she is fated to rule as our queen. But there’s something between us that’s so intoxicating, so carnal, I can’t help wanting Tendra for myself . . . even if it’s treason.



Megan Erickson is one of my favorite romance authors ever.  Any time I see any of her books I automatically have to pick it up, whether it's MF or MM, paranormal, super steamy, whatever.  I can't say no!  I love just about every book I've read from her so I was really excited to give this one a try, especially because with Halloween on it's way.  I've really been in the mood for vampires. lol!  I have to be honest, I didn't love this one as much as I expected to.

Tendra is a waitress who one night gets kidnapped and is thrown into this world she had no idea existed. A world where vampires are real.   Not only are vampires real but she is destined fulfill a prophesy which says she will give her "special" blood to the future king, giving him strength to overthrow a rival vampire clan and also save the human race. Athan is her vampire bodyguard, who is tasked with making sure she gets to the king’s (who is his brother) place safely. They’re on the run throughout the story avoiding deadly assassins, members of the rival clan, and members of their own clan that have betrayed them.

I really loved both of the MCs, Athen and Tendra!  It was great to have a strong female character that didn't come off as "too tough" either.  There was a great balance.  She knew how to defend herself but she also has her really vulnerable moments where she needs to have a good cry.  She's kind of a badass and doesn't take crap from anybody. She was also really funny.  Then there's Athen. He hasn't been around normal humans (ones that haven't agreed to hang around and let vampires suck their blood when they need it) enough to understand them.  He's only ever used them for a fresh feed and/or occasionally slept with them.  I enjoyed his totally clueless moments, but I really loved how caring he was when it came to Tendra. He treated Tendra with respect and care. She wasn't an object or just his duty, but a person with feelings, fears, and a future she didn't choose.  I loved that he "got" that.

I loved the slow build-up of chemistry between them.  They both do their best to ignore it because they are aware that she is to be with his brother to fulfill the prophesy.  But as they spend more time together a deep bond is formed between the two that's impossible to ignore.  They have a ton of chemistry together but they don't act on it for a long time so I guess I would call this a slower burn?  I also have to note that a lot of Erickson's romances that I've read recently are heavier on the steamier scenes but this one only has maybe 3 or 4 and they weren't until well over the half way point.  They never really became the focus of the story either.

One of the biggest issues I had with this one was how easily Tendra seemed to accept her "new life" within the clan.  Athan basically tells her that she's going to be the future king's blood bank so he can have special powers and possibly protect the human race.  Oh and also she has to sleep with him too.  This random man that she's never met.  But apparently that's okay because their saliva secretes something that makes them overcome with lust.  ANYWAY.....She never really tries to fight against her fate and that bothered me a lot.  I'm pretty sure I would have a problem being someone's suck toy for all of eternity...just saying!  I may even throw a giant hissy fit about it!  She was way too reasonable about it.  I get that she could potentially save the human race from another race of vampires that is determined to enslave them and torture them for their blood...but I don't think I could just accept my place like that.  Could be my fear of blood/having my blood taken talking tho.

While this wasn't my favorite Erickson story and I had a few issues with it, I still ended up getting sucked in and enjoying it a lot.  I kind of guessed what was going on plot-wise fairly early, but that didn't necessarily take anything away from the story.  I thought the pacing was really great and there wasn't really a dull moment.  I read through the book very quickly and had trouble putting it down.  I really loved the world building in this one and I can't wait to pick up the next one in the series.  I need to know what happens.  And I want to know more about Athen's brother, Idris.


Find It Here:


10 comments:

  1. I've actually never heard of Megan Erickson before, but I'm always in the mood for a good romance read so I'll have to check her books out. (Which one is your personal favorite?) I like the sound of the characters in this. I feel like clueless paranormal moments are always so funny, so I'd be curious to see how Athen adjusts. That's too bad, though, about Tendra accepting her new life without any fight. I feel that would annoy me too, because if I was her I definitely wouldn't be so complacent! Great review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaaat?!?! You've never heard of Megan Erickson before! She is one of my absolute favorites!! Her Cyberlove series that she co-writes with Santino Hassell is probably one of my aboslute favorites. It's a MM romance series. In Focus is another mm romance series that I loved. Her Gamer series is a mixture of MF and MM, and it's really great too. She just started a wolf shifter series called Silver Tip Pack if you are in the mood for a paranormal type romance. I loved them all. lol Thanks so much, Lauren!

      Delete
  2. I really liked the characters in this one too. I agree that Tendra is very quick to accept her fate, and though I didn't have a problem with it, I definitely see where you're coming from. Maybe if she had fought it a little bit more, especially because she was so fiesty? My main issue was the lack of coherent plot here. I'm hoping the sequel will be better in that regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Since she was so feisty, I expected a lot more of a fight over it but she seems to go along with it so fast. I agree that the plot seemed to be a little rough. I think this one was just to hype us up even more for the rest of the series. Like a little taste leaving you wanting more?? At least that's what I'm hoping. lol Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. I have been seeing this book everywhere! I haven't read anything by Erickson, but the premise sounds interesting to me so I might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it does seem to be everywhere lately! I'm a big fan of Megan Erickson so I pick up just about anything from her now. lol I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to check it out

      Delete
  4. It is kind of funny that we both review this one today! I do agree that she accepts everything pretty easily. I would probably fight it more myself. There was a lot to like about the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I smiled when I saw you had a review today too. lol There was still a lot to like about the story, I agree. It did really bother me that she didn't fight her "role" more tho. I thought it was eventually handled well tho

      Delete
  5. I love Erickson so much but for some reason I haven't been interested in trying this one. I will read it at some point but I'm not in a rush.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that this one isn't really your thing. If you do decide to check it out, I hope you enjoy it. I will definitely be picking up the next one in the series. I've been loving her MM romances so this was a nice change

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground