Review: Truth or Beard by Penny Reid

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Title: Truth or Beard
Author: Penny Reid
Series: Winston Brothers, #1
Genre: MF Romance
Publisher: Caped Publishing
Publication Date: July 21st 2015


 Beards, brothers, and bikers! Oh my! 

Identical twins Beau and Duane Winston might share the same devastatingly handsome face, but where Beau is outgoing and sociable, Duane is broody and reserved. This is why Jessica James, recent college graduate and perpetual level-headed good girl, has been in naïve and unhealthy infatuation with Beau Winston for most of her life. 

His friendly smiles make her tongue-tied and weak-kneed, and she’s never been able to move beyond her childhood crush. Whereas Duane and Jessica have always been adversaries. She can’t stand him, and she’s pretty sure he can’t stand the sight of her…

But after a case of mistaken identity, Jessica finds herself in a massive confusion kerfuffle. Jessica James has spent her whole life paralyzed by the fantasy of Beau and her assumptions of Duane’s disdain; therefore she’s unprepared for the reality that is Duane’s insatiable interest, as well as his hot hands and hot mouth and hotter looks. Not helping Jessica’s muddled mind and good girl sensibilities, Duane seems to have gotten himself in trouble with the local biker gang, the Iron Order.

Certainly, Beau’s magic spell is broken. Yet when Jessica finds herself drawn to the man who was always her adversary, now more dangerous than ever, how much of her level-head heart is she willing to risk?



  Jessica has recently returned to her hometown as a math teacher, but she has big plans about saving to travel the world.  She is the local sheriff's daughter and her older brother also works as a police officer. Duane owns the auto shop with his brothers.   He has an identical twin that Jessica has had the hots for since they were younger.  Duane was always the gruff twin, while Beau is the charming one. Jessica always thought she could easily tell them apart, but during a Halloween party she mistakes Duane for his twin Beau and they have a steamy encounter.  Duane comes clean before things go too far and she's furious.  She's even more confused when her attention starts shifting from Beau to Duane. They always picked fights with each other as kids, but now she thinks she has misjudged him. Duane has always had a thing for Jess, and now that she's back in town he thinks he finally has a chance to tell her how he feels. He wants something serious with her, so he plans to take things slow with her and "court" her properly. He didn't plan on having to compete with Jessica's case of wanderlust.  They both feel the strong pull of attraction but neither one knows how it can work if she doesn't want to give up her dreams.

Even though there are a couple of mini steamy scenes while Duane is trying to court her, I still think this one was a bit of a slower burn because he was really trying to win her over before taking things all the way.  He wanted more than just a tumble with her, he was determined to win her heart.  He was really adorable when he brought flowers for her mom(even though she wasn't there) and wanted to talk to her dad before taking her out.  He was such a gentleman.  He liked opening doors and planning the dates.  Such a sweetheart!  I liked that he was the one putting on the breaks when things started to get too steamy.  It was a nice role change.

I'm not sure what it was about Jessica, but I didn't love her character.  I liked that she has no filter and just says whatever is one her mind with complete honesty, but I didn't like how she went from one extreme to the other really fast.  She hated Duane because "he was always mean to her" but after one kiss, she misses him every second that they are away from each other and can't handle it when he doesn't pick up his phone right away.  She was maybe a little too needy for me??

I also didn't love all of the drama that was added in with the local MC club.  I thought that was all a little unnecessary.  This may just be a "me" issue because I don't really enjoy MC romances.  Luckily, neither of the MCs were actually part of the MC.  They just got a little bit entangled in their drama.  We get some strange awkward moments between Jessica and one of the members of the MC but I'm guessing it will be a revelation for another book?  Pretty sure I can guess what it is but we'll see, I guess.  It was kind of left hanging.

Even though I didn't absolutely love these two, I still want to continue the series because I need to know the stories for the rest of the Winston siblings!  Especially Cletus!  Don't get me wrong, I really want to know more about Beau too, but I really loved Cletus in this one.  The whole family seems like a lot of fun.  They were all such characters and had completely different personalities.  


Find It Here:



12 comments:

  1. I read this one and I don't remember much from it, so I think I probably felt the same way as you did - haha! I still want to try some more books in this series because it's gotten rave reviews but I'm not rushing to them!
    I hope the other siblings' books will be better for you! :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Yeah, if I can't remember anything from a book, I usually take that as a sign that I wasn't too excited about it. lol. I think the rest of the series is available through Kindle Unlimited so I'm sure I will get to them eventually. I really loved the brothers. They seem like they could be a lot of fun. Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  2. I have been curious about this series but haven't yet picked it up. Even though I have heard great reviews, I am not in a rush to try them yet though. Over hyped books tend to disappoint me more than not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a ton of positive things about this author and this series specifically. That's why I wanted to check this one out....and there's a bearded hero!! lol. I agree with you about over-hyped books. I have an amazing reading list this month but they are all hyped books so I'm pretty nervous. haha

      Delete
  3. I loved the first part of this book so much, but I dnf it yet because I lost interest after the reveal that it was the wrong brother. I kind of wish it lasted a bit longer cause that was part of why I was so drawn in XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! That's revealed pretty early on! I thought it was a really fun concept, I just didn't really connect with the heroine at all. The brothers intrigue me tho so I'm pretty sure I'm going to continue the series...eventually

      Delete
  4. I have seen such good things about this series and author but haven't tried it yet. Seems a little eh though. Hope the rest of the series is better! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think this one was a little "eh" but she did a great job leaving you wanting to know more about the rest of his family members so I'm going to have to give it another try. lol. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  5. I've heard of this book before, but it's never really caught my eye. Jessica does seem like she would be a hard MC to like...it's always hard for me when characters are so cold one minute about something and then hot about it the next. I hope you enjoy the rest of the books in the series though! Great review, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had a really hard time connecting with the female MC and that took a lot of the "fun" out of it for me. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  6. I've got this on my TBR and I do want to read. I hate when you're not a fan of an MC so it sucks that there was something which didn't click with Jessica. I could see her being someone I might not like in my romance but I'll still give it a chance mostly because I love the sounds of Duane. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Duane's character, Jessica just wasn't my favorite at all. I am still going to check out the others in the series though because I loved the brothers! lol Thanks, Becky!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground