Review: When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Title: When Dimple Met Rishi
Author: Sandhya Menon
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication date: May 30th 2017

 Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.

The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways.



Ahhh!!  The cuteness!!!  I just had to go ahead and get that out of the way really quick. lol!   When Dimple Met Rishi left my heart feeling full and squishy with happiness.  I can't even handle how much I enjoyed this one. This was a book that constantly had me smiling and made me laugh out loud.  I felt all of the feels.

Dimple Shah is a recent high school graduate that is dedicated to learning coding and having a career. Her mother would rather her grow out her hair, put on some makeup and get married already. So when she gets her parents to agree to send her to a summer web developers competition, Dimple decides not to push it and question her good luck. What she doesn't know is that the main reason she's being allowed to go there is because they have arranged for a boy named Rishi Patel to meet her there.  Oh, and also that he is under the impression that they will have an arranged marriage. 

One of the things about this book that I really enjoyed reading about was Indian cultures. I don't actually know too much at all about Indian culture so that was really fun and interesting for me to read about.  I thought it was really interesting to read about modern day teenagers with an Indian heritage, and their take on their beliefs and culture while living in and "fitting in" in America. I thought the culture was presented in an informative and relatable way. I loved reading about it!

Dimple was a hilarious, unique, and strong-willed character. She didn't care what other people thought about her.  She refused to be a girl that needed to fix her hair and makeup and become obsessed with finding a husband. Dimple was never afraid to truly be herself. At first I thought she came off a bit harsh, but she eventually opened up and showed her kind and caring side. I admired Dimple's need to be independent and her focus on her career but I thought she took it too far at times, and it frustrated me because of how she treated Rishi a few times.

I can't handle how much a loved Rishi. He was definitely book boyfriend material. My heart hurt for him at times because he got his feelings stomped on quite a few times by Dimple.  He was very patient, loving, and sweet with her. But also very determined.  He took his time and really "woo-ed" her.  I loved every second of it.

The romance between them was really cute and well developed. It didn't feel rushed at all to me.  Dimple started out not trusting him at all and being pretty mean to him, but he eventually grows on her and they have an adorable friendship that leads to more.  They made an adorable couple.  They also had great chemistry with one another.  There is a scene between them where things get intimate but it wasn't graphic and I thought it was handled really well.  Things sort of "fade to black" before it gets to that point.  And yay for another YA book that tackles consent really well!

Obviously, I really ended up loving this book. lol. It was the lighthearted, funny, and super adorable book that I was hoping it would be.  I would recommend to anyone that is looking for something a little light and fluffy, and low on angst.  I'm excited to read more from this author in the future.


Find It Here:


16 comments:

  1. Yay so glad you enjoyed this! I loved Rishi so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Grace! Rishi was seriously the sweetest!! I can't even handle it. He was definitely a perfect book boyfriend.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard a single bad thing about this book! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have anything bad to say about it either. lol! I was so adorable. I really loved it. Thanks, Samantha!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, this was super cute. I was afraid to read it because of all the hype but it really is that good.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really afraid of the hype too. It seems like any time I pick up a super hyped book, I end up disappointed. I'm so glad that wasn't the case with this one. It was so cute!

      Delete
  4. I think all the book bloggers that I followed loved this one. I think I'll need to read it, I'm worried tho how it will sit with me heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I was really worried about the hype behind this one too, but I ended up loving it. It was really cute. I hope you love it if you get to check it out

      Delete
  5. I actually borrowed this one from the library when it was released, but then I never got around to reading it before it was due :( But I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Dimple sounds like an awesome main character, and that's awesome she doesn't care what people think about her. Also, from everything I've heard about Rishi he sounds amazing as well. Great review, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved Rishi! He was definitely my favorite character in this one. Dimple has her frustrating moments but I really liked her too. I hope you love this one when you get a chance to check it out. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  6. YES YES YES to everything in this review! Rishi was my absolute favorite character, and his sweetness made me swoon. I wish he was an actual person IRL! Dimple was definitely a bit too harsh at the start, but I loved her resilience and determination to be who she really wanted to be.
    I enjoyed most of all the contrast the author made with these two characters, and I loved the Indian representation in the book, too.
    I think the ending was predictable like many contemporaries are, but this is also a debut so I'm sure that Sandhya Menon, being as talented as she's proved she is, will improve a lot in her next novel.
    I'm highly anticipating the next book she's writing!
    Great job with this review, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book just as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yayyy! So glad you loved this one too! Rishi was the absolute best part of this book. I loved him so much. I agree that it was probably a bit predictable at the end, but I didn't mind and ended up loving it. I can't wait to read more from this author in the future. Thank you, Sophie!

      Delete
  7. Yay so happy you adored this! I'm dying to read it, and it really does seem like a fun, light, beautiful and adorable story. The characters also sound so awesome and compelling.
    Great review, Julie :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you end up really loving this one when you get a chance to check it out! Thanks, Amy!

      Delete
  8. Yep, you've totally summarised what makes this book great. It was a fantastic read which highlighted Indian culture, especially what it's like to be Indian-American and what it means to fit. I know folks had a few issues with Dimple but I totally loved the story. It was cute and brilliant and I want more books like this. There are a few YA which have stood out for me lately and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Becky! This book was so adorable! I saw that a lot of people had issues with Dimple, and I guess she was frustrating at times, but I still liked her character a lot. This is definitely one of my favorites for the year!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground