Review: Chief's Mess by L.A. Witt

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Title: Chief's Mess
Author: L.A. Witt
Series: Anchor Point, #3
Genre: MM Romance
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Publication Date: June 19th 2017

 Anthony Talbot is in Anchor Point to visit family, but after two days of strife, he needs a break. A local gay bar is calling his name.

When Chief Noah Jackson sees that red head stroll into the club, he immediately wants him. They’re perfectly matched, and before long, they’re burning up the sheets. Noah can’t get enough. Anthony can’t stay in Oregon for long, but as soon as he leaves, he’s counting down the days until he can fly back for more. And between his increasingly frequent visits, there’s always phone sex, sexting, webcams . . . anything they can get.

But Noah’s got a carefully crafted fa├žade, and Anthony can’t help noticing the slowly forming cracks. The scent of alcohol in the middle of the day. The extra drinks at dinner. The hint of red in his eyes. Anthony knows what it means. He doesn’t want to believe it, but he’s seen this before, and there’s no denying it. If Noah doesn’t get his downward spiral under control, he’s going to lose both his career and the first man he’s ever really loved.



Anthony has flown in to Anchor Point to offer moral support to his sister while she meets up with her ex-husband Clint (from Afraid to Fly, book #2) and his boyfriend.  Because of the way things ended between his sister and Clint, Anthony is not of fan of Clint.  Sensing his discomfort, his sister tells him to go out and blow off some steam, so he decides to check out a local gay bar.  As soon as he heads to the bar he meets Chief Noah Jackson. They have an instant attraction and decide to have a week long fling while Anthony is in town.  When Anthony returns to Portland, they decide to continue their arrangement because of their smoking hot chemistry.  They end up texting and Skyping to continue their casual sexual relationship. Pretty soon they are visiting each other every other week to further explore their insane chemistry between the sheets and eventually their long-distance-hookups turn to love.  Things remain as steamy as ever, but Anthony starts to notice that Noah always has a drink in his hand, or seems like he's sneaking more drinks on the side.  He has a feeling that Noah has a drinking problem, but he isn't sure if it's just his imagination.

Holy cow, these two have some explosive chemistry!  There is no shortage of steamy scenes in this one.  I loved the chemistry between the two of them.    The sex scenes were super steamy and they had some great dirty talk.  I also really like how the feelings between the two of them grew gradually and didn't happen overnight.

While I did really love the steamy scenes, I did wish for a little more of a plot to this one.  I wanted a little more substance.  The "big issue" of the story is obviously Noah's issues with alcohol, but I feel like it wasn't dealt with much until the very end.  The issue is brought up fairly early but then we don't hear much about it for a while.  I would have liked to see him getting help for it earlier, and maybe see him going through some of the struggle of staying sober.  It's sort of glossed over and I think it was too important to be pushed aside.

I'm a little torn about this one because I think these two probably had the best chemistry out of all the couples in the series, but I was a little let down with the plot.  If you are looking for a super steamy read, then this one is definitely for you.  But if you are looking for something with deeper meaning or lots of angst, then this one probably isn't for you.  I am a huge fan of L.A. Witt's books, so I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

* I received an ARC of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own. *

Find It Here:

4 comments:

  1. The chemistry sounds smoking! It does feel like there are too many sex scenes but if they are done well, I'm not complaining. It's a bit of a shame the drinking problem is a bit glossed over though. I would have wanted a stronger focus. I'm glad you liked the book though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the heat between these two guys was definitely scorching, but I just wanted a little bit more with the drinking issues. I still really enjoyed it tho.

      Delete
  2. I pretty much felt the same with this one. It wasn't my favorite in the series, but I still really cared for the characters!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I really loved these guys and their chemistry but I'm not sure that this one would be my favorite from the series...which is a shame because they really did have the best chemistry of all the couple so far, in my opinion.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground