Review: Adorkable by Cookie O'Gorman

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Title: Adorkable
Author: Cookie O'Gorman
Genre: Young Adult 
Publication Date: March 31, 2016

 Adorkable (ah-dor-kuh-bul): Descriptive term meaning to be equal parts dorky and adorable. For reference, see Sally Spitz. 

Seventeen-year-old Sally Spitz is done with dating. Or at least, she's done with the horrible blind dates/hookups/sneak attacks her matchmaking bestie, Hooker, sets her up on. There's only so much one geek girl and Gryffindor supporter can take. 

Her solution: she needs a fake boyfriend. And fast. 

Enter Becks, soccer phenom, all-around-hottie, and Sally's best friend practically since birth. When Sally asks Becks to be her F.B.F. (fake boyfriend), Becks is only too happy to be used. He'd do anything for Sal--even if that means giving her PDA lessons in his bedroom, saying she's "more than pretty," and expertly kissing her at parties. 

The problem: Sally's been in love with Becks all her life--and he's completely clueless. 

This book features two best friends, one special edition Yoda snuggie, countless beneath-the-ear kisses and begs the question: 

Who wants a real boyfriend when faking it is so much more fun? 



Sally is tired of her best friend and her mom trying to set her up on dates, so she comes up with a plan to have a fake boyfriend.  She figures if she has a boyfriend she won't have to worry about them sneak attacking her with dates.  She has the perfect person in mine for the job of fake boyfriend, her best friend Becks.  The only flaw in her plan is that she has always had feelings for him, so it's really hard for her to remember that they are just playing pretend, or are they?

I have a huge soft spot for both nerdy characters and friends to lovers romances, so I knew I absolutely had to read this one.  This is my first read from Cookie O'Gorman so I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought this was really cute.  It had a few unbelievable moments but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story.

I really enjoyed both of the main characters even if I wanted to shake them at times.  Sally is a huge fangirl of all things nerdy.  She wears her Gryffindor jersey at least once a week, relaxes in her Yoda snuggie, and talks movie quotes.  Basically she is my twin! lol!  Becks is the opposite.  He runs with the popular crowd, is an athlete, and can charm the pants off of anyone.  They have been best friends since they were kids, but never anything more than that.  I loved Sally's awkwardness when they first started pretending.  She's never had a boyfriend before so she is completely out of her element.  I thought they were both a little too clueless at times, but it built suspense for the final revelation.

I really enjoyed some of the secondary characters, but there were a couple of them that drove me really nuts.  Hooker is Sal's "best friend" but is pretty much a giant jerk that continually tries to pimp her out and puts her in really awkward situations.  Honestly, I kind of hated her. lol!  While I think it's great that we have a supportive parent (her mom) in this one, I didn't really like her much either.  She was involved in her daughter's life, which is great, but she's TOO involved. And also really immature.  What mother conspires with a teenager to set her daughter up on really uncomfortable dates.  It was weird.  Some of the secondary characters that I DID love were Becks family.  They were really funny and close-knit.

One of the things I REALLY loved about this one was that Sally didn't go through any grand transformation to get Becks' attention.  Too many times in young adult books they do a "Cinderella-style" makeover and it catches the guy's eye.  In this one, Becks doesn't want to change anything about her and likes her the way she is, and I loved that!

While I really loved the geekiness, I had to bring my rating down a little for Hooker and the mom's behavior.  It really bordered on cruel at times.  I just don't see someone acting that way towards someone they are supposed to care about.  I did enjoy the super sappiness tho.

Find It Here:

8 comments:

  1. That's too bad about Hooker and the mom's behavior, but I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall! Sally seems like a great MC - I also have a soft spot for nerdy characters lol Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just couldn't get over how crazy the mom and best friend were. They were a little TOO determined to find someone for Sal. Even if it meant setting her up with people they already knew would be horrible for her. I have a soft spot for the awkward nerdy types too. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  2. Aww that is such a cute cover! And it's a fake-dating with nerds and a friends to lovers romance. It sounds so sweet! Ugh Hooker sounds like an annoying character just from your description. I'm glad she didn't take away too much from your enjoyment of the book though!
    Great review, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely had a lot of the tropes that I love in romances too. Yes, Hooker drove me absolutely insane. I have no idea why Sal was even friends with her. She was horrible and didn't seem to care about Sal at all, just about getting her hooked up with someone. Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. It's about time someone used Adorkable as a book title! lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I wanted to pick it up as soon as I saw the title. haha!

      Delete
  4. This sounds so cute!! I love the title, and even though I don't LOVE the fake boyfriend trope-- I feel like I could if it was the right book. Immature and overbearing parents are kinda the worst though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is actually what made me want to read the book. lol! I have a huge soft spot for geeky/nerdy characters so I'm always on the lookout for those types of characters. The best friend and mom really made me nuts tho. lol

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground