Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: December 2nd 2010

 Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. 

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?


This is one book that I've had on my TBR list for a really long time but for some reason never got around to it.  Everyone seems to absolutely love this one so I wanted to finally pick it up and see what all of the fuss was about.  This was my very first read by Stephanie Perkins too!

I really enjoyed all of the different character's personalities.  Anna was so completely lost at the beginning of the story and I really felt for her.  I would be really scared to be in a completely different place where I didn't know the language and I didn't know anyone, and I'm 32!  She's only a teenager!  St. Clair was equal parts sweet and completely frustrating for me.  I HATED that he had a girlfriend for almost the entire story.  I'm not a fan of cheaters.  He ran so hot and cold with Anna but somehow expected her to understand that his behavior meant he cared about her....but refused to break up with his girlfriend.  He also had some really sweet moments with her, and was really protective of her.  It also made me a little mad that even though he refused to leave his girlfriend for her, he didn't want her dating anyone else.  Sooo, she was supposed to wait around for him to make up his mind?  Nope.  I don't blame her for trying to move on.

In typical young adult fashion, there is a lot of friendship drama, with both her Paris friends and also her friends back home in Atlanta.  I don't remember having too much friendship drama when I was a teenager but I know it was definitely a thing.  It all felt pretty realistic.  There's bound to be trouble when both you and your friend like the same guy.  Along with the friendship drama, there was a lot of parent drama.  Both St. Clair and Anna have "jerk dads" but we don't hear much more about them other than "he's a jerk".  We know a little more about St. Clair's father, who definitely earns the jerk title, but I would have liked to know what made Anna's dad a bad guy.

I've never been to Paris, but it is one of those places on my bucket list, so I'm always interested in reading books that take place there.  I mean, who doesn't swoon a little over a cute accent?!  I really enjoyed reading about Anna discovering parts of the city.  She spent most of her time at the theater but she talks about visiting different places and monuments too.  This one is good for a case of wanderlust, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, I didn't end up loving this one as much as I had hoped, and I am definitely the unpopular opinion with that feeling. haha!  I think this one was a case of "it's not you, it's me".  I really enjoyed the parts of the story about discovering Paris, but St. Clair and Anna drove me a little nuts.  With as much back and forth that happened between them throughout the story, by the time they finally got together I was already over it. lol! Maybe I'm just burnt out on young adult??  I'm not sure.  I may still give the others in the series a try one day.

Find It Here:

16 comments:

  1. Aww that's too bad you didn't enjoy this one as much as you had hoped. I'm one of the people who absolutely loved this book as well as the second one (the third one I still haven't read), but I can see how Anna and St. Clair's behavior could make you mad. I agree with the wanderlust comment! It made me want to go to Paris asap. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Just about everyone I know loved this one! lol! I'm the odd one. I didn't end up loving St. Clair like everyone else did either. lol I will still probably check out the next one tho. It definitely made me want to go to Paris. Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  2. I loved this one when I first read it, but I have a feeling if I read it now, I'd be furstrated by some of the characters' behavior and lack of communication too. I did love all those sight-seeing scenes though. It was like a travel guide! Glad you enjoyed it overall despite some issues, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really wanted to like them together but St. Clair was so hot and cold and then the gf thing. ugh!! The sight-seeing was my favorite part! Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. I kind of love you right now lol

    I read this back when it came out and everyone was all...St.Clair is the BEST book boyfriend ever so I was hoping for swoon and was so disappointed by him. To me...he let Anna down at every important moment in her life - then would waltz in and say something romantic then leave her hanging again.

    I loved the setting and I liked Anna but the romance was bleh. Now I did love Lola and the Boy Next Door and Cricket.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! YES! YES! Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! lol

      St. Clair was so hot and cold with Anna that it made me crazy. Then he wouldn't leave that gf either! Ugh! Not swoon material for me, that's for sure.

      I really did love the setting and sight-seeing tho. It gave me a pretty good case of wanderlust. lol I will still probably read the second book, just to give them another chance. We'll see how it goes! lol I'm glad to hear that you loved it!

      Delete
  4. Huh. I'd never really had a lot of interest in reading this series, because a lot of times, YA contemporary is full of drama. Aaaaand I guess that is true of this book. Goodness, and people kept telling me that I MUST read this book for Etienne. I... don't think I would like him. O_O Well, I'm glad you enjoyed some aspects of this book!

    Have a great day, Julie. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh yes, lots of drama! lol! It was a bit much for me at times. Maybe I'm just getting a little burnt out on YA?? I'm not sure. Everyone was telling me the same thing about Etienne, but I just didn't get that from him. He had some sweet moments but they were ruined for me by him having a girlfriend and running so hot and cold all the time.

      Thanks, Alyssa! Hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Aw sorry you didn't love this. This series is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy the others if you get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, I guess I'm the odd ball on this one. lol! I definitely still want to check out the others. I'm not ready to give up quite yet. lol!

      Delete
  6. I read this when it first came out and loved it... but I don't know how I'd feel about it now. I have a feeling I'd be annoyed by a lot of events...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went into this one expecting to absolutely love it but St. Clair's behavior just drove me nuts. And there was SO. Much. Drama! lol

      Delete
  7. This is one of my fave books, but it has SO MANY ISSUES. I don't know, I just get so lost in it every time I read it! Great review! <3
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, so many people have told me that this is one of their favorite YA books of all time. I, apparently, have to be the odd one lol Thanks, Megan!

      Delete
  8. OMG, I'm glad I;m not alone with not loving this book and shouting about from the rooftops like everyone else. I read this book twice, first time I absolutely hated but second time I was like 'it's ok'. The cheater aspect was not my favourite and I definitely wasn't in love St Clair like everyone else. He was a bit of a dick all things considered. I did love the Paris setting, though. I will say I absolutely adored the second book in this series if you want to give that one a chance. It was so cute and I got people raving about that one. The third book has all the nice sightseeing bits in it which I enjoyed but again, didn't adore it like many. I have the new book by Stephanie Perkins so I'm interested to see which way it goes with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessssss!!!!! It's always nice to hear that I'm not completely alone! lol I couldn't believe how in love everyone was with St. Clair after reading this one. He drove me nuts! I really hated that he had a gf, first of all, but I also didn't love how hot and cold he was with Anna. I agree, he was kind of a dick, honestly! lol!!

      I REALLY loved the Paris setting. I'm definitely still going to check out the other books. I'm hoping I will enjoy those a little better.

      Hope you love the new Stephanie Perkins!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground